How did you all feel about PE Civil/WRE Oct 2016 exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JUST DO IT!

Reaction score
Hello there,

I took Civil in the morning and WRE in the afternoon. AM session got me very much (particularly, Structural). PM session was a lot better to me. I have a feeling that i will get 30 out of 40 correct. Just would like to know how others felt about the exam.

Any thoughts or ideas of how much would be the cut off for passing the test?

Thanks and regards,

I have heard many people commenting how difficult they thought the civil breadth was. A few girls I was standing around during the break between the morning and afternoon exam said they guessed on every single structural problem. I also heard some people say they thought the morning was heavy on geo.

I personally did not think the structural questions were too bad... and I am a geo guy, so I loved all the morning geo questions. I put in a **** load of study time though... like easily 400+ hours. That and I took EET, which had identical practice problems as the exam.

For me, the morning felt much easier than the afternoon, cause there were about 10-12 in the afternoon that really stumped me. I hope I did enough in the morning to pass, I feel like I counted about 4-5 (especially theoretical ones) that I couldn't get the right answer to. The depth killed me though, even though I felt super prepared for the water stuff after taking EET too. I still feel like I was very prepared, but it was my own fault for not understanding problems more "clearly" during the exam. 

I have heard many people commenting how difficult they thought the civil breadth was. A few girls I was standing around during the break between the morning and afternoon exam said they guessed on every single structural problem. I also heard some people say they thought the morning was heavy on geo.

I personally did not think the structural questions were too bad... and I am a geo guy, so I loved all the morning geo questions. I put in a **** load of study time though... like easily 400+ hours. That and I took EET, which had identical practice problems as the exam.
Thanks for the response! Well, I cannot do anything other than waiting for around 2 months to see the results ;)  

For me, the morning felt much easier than the afternoon, cause there were about 10-12 in the afternoon that really stumped me. I hope I did enough in the morning to pass, I feel like I counted about 4-5 (especially theoretical ones) that I couldn't get the right answer to. The depth killed me though, even though I felt super prepared for the water stuff after taking EET too. I still feel like I was very prepared, but it was my own fault for not understanding problems more "clearly" during the exam. 
@Coolcool - that's cool to know only a few questions stumped you in the morning. Good luck :)  

I hope you all passed. I too was an EET student. I took the exam last October and felt the AM was harder as hell with the PM being doable. Luckily it worked out for me. Good luck.

In the mean time, head over to the games section and participate in the "spam" thread. I the past, 9 out of the top 10 spammers passed the PE exam. Here the link: http://engineerboards.com/index.php?/topic/27382-october-2016-spam-athon-thread/

I hope you all passed. I too was an EET student. I took the exam last October and felt the AM was harder as hell with the PM being doable. Luckily it worked out for me. Good luck.

In the mean time, head over to the games section and participate in the "spam" thread. I the past, 9 out of the top 10 spammers passed the PE exam. Here the link: http://engineerboards.com/index.php?/topic/27382-october-2016-spam-athon-thread/
Haha...thanks for the invite, matt267. Looks like, I need to actively participate in spamming to be on the success list ;)

Would you mind if I ask you how much score or percentage correct you might have got in the exam from last year.

@JUST DO IT!, After walking out of the exam, I only felt good about 15/40 AM questions. I used process of elimination on the rest and flat out guessed on a few. For the PM, I felt really good about 35/40, made educated guesses on a few. There might have been one or two I didn't have a clue. I was convinced I failed because of my struggles in the AM but was hoping that my performance in the PM would pull me through. I was very surprised that I passed. So I either did better than I thought in the AM, or I did a really good job at guessing. (Or, jokingly, the cut score was really low.)

I guess I was trying to convince myself that I failed so I wouldn't be disappointed if I did.

i took it in Timonium, MD. I saw some people around me getting comfortable during the morning session/or may be i thought so and I was worried as i was stuck at many of the questions. i tried to calm down during the break for the afternoon session and it was a lot better than the morning session. But i feel like i need to start preparing for the April 2017, ------->> result of complete mess of the morning session.

@JUST DO IT!, After walking out of the exam, I only felt good about 15/40 AM questions. I used process of elimination on the rest and flat out guessed on a few. For the PM, I felt really good about 35/40, made educated guesses on a few. There might have been one or two I didn't have a clue. I was convinced I failed because of my struggles in the AM but was hoping that my performance in the PM would pull me through. I was very surprised that I passed. So I either did better than I thought in the AM, or I did a really good job at guessing. (Or, jokingly, the cut score was really low.)

I guess I was trying to convince myself that I failed so I wouldn't be disappointed if I did.
@matt267 PE : Thanks for sharing. I have a similar feeling about my performance. Sure about 15-20 questions in the AM and confident about 30 questions in the PM. I will see how much luck I have in getting my guess work correct. Guesses never worked for me till date ;)

Will keep you posted.

I felt I had 30-32 on the PM portion of the test. I felt I had about 29-31 on the morning. Hopefully that's enough to pass.

Based on what I've heard I see a lot of people said it was hard. Hopefully this lowers the cut score to 54 or 55. I'd be surprised to see a 57 or 58 be the cut score.  

I felt I had 30-32 on the PM portion of the test. I felt I had about 29-31 on the morning. Hopefully that's enough to pass.

Based on what I've heard I see a lot of people said it was hard. Hopefully this lowers the cut score to 54 or 55. I'd be surprised to see a 57 or 58 be the cut score.  
Wow! I wish you better pass with that scores. 

i took it in Timonium, MD. I saw some people around me getting comfortable during the morning session/or may be i thought so and I was worried as i was stuck at many of the questions. i tried to calm down during the break for the afternoon session and it was a lot better than the morning session. But i feel like i need to start preparing for the April 2017, ------->> result of complete mess of the morning session.
Good luck, mate!

I fond both sections pretty challenging.

I think the AM section was easier.  I had to guess on about 5-7 in the morning.

The PM was tougher.  I had to guess on about 10-12.

I think one problem for me was speed.  I was too slow.  I wasn't able to finish on time.  I had to fill in random bubbles in the last minute, for each section.  Hopefully, I got lucky on my guesses!  But if I failed, then I'll just suck it up and get back to studying.

Back