• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to EngineerBoards and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Environmental Engineering or Water Resources

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnm_89

Reaction score
Hello, I'm am almost finished with my undergrad in biology and am planning on pursuing a Master's degree (preferably in Europe). Originally I was going to get a MSc in oceanography, marine science, limnology, water resources, or something similar. But I learned that environmental engineers make more money. I want to work in an environmental field dealing with water problems, either ecological or water quality. The problem is that I want to find a balance between doing what I enjoy (field work) and making decent money (50k/yr+). I don't want to make 100k/yr and hate my job but I also don't want to work in a field I love and barely make a livable wage. Can I focus on water problems, marine or freshwater, with an environmental engineering degree? I don't really want to be working with wastewater treatment. Does it matter if I get a degree in Europe (e.g. Germany, Austria, Belgium, etc.)? Is there a balance between field work and office work with an environmental engineering degree, or is it almost all office work? Do offshore oil companies hire environmental engineers? Also, are there jobs that combine scuba diving and environmental work that pays well? Thank you very much for all of your help! 

Can I focus on water problems, marine or freshwater, with an environmental engineering degree?
I would say yes.

I don't really want to be working with wastewater treatment.
And what's wrong with wastewater treatment?

Does it matter if I get a degree in Europe (e.g. Germany, Austria, Belgium, etc.)?
I don't know.

Is there a balance between field work and office work with an environmental engineering degree, or is it almost all office work?
I would think it depends on the type of jobs you get.

Do offshore oil companies hire environmental engineers?
No clue.

are there jobs that combine scuba diving and environmental work that pays well?
That seems like a pretty specific type of job.

FYI, I have an environmental engineering degree and am licensed in Civil-Water Resources. I deal mostly with wastewater.

Also, are there jobs that combine scuba diving and environmental work that pays well?
Scuba? maybe. But snorkeling yes. Look into Coastal Engineering. I have a buddy that graduated with a Masters from UF. Below is a link to their program. He basically spends a couple of weeks snorkling and mapping the ocean bottoms and walking the beach to determine the sand profiles near the coastline. Then puts a report together comparing the current model to existing databases. This proves the sand is moving up and down the coastline. Then local municipalities will start beach renourishment projects to protect the million dollar mansions (that pay heavy taxes to keep the government fat). He needs to be onsite (on the beach for work) during construction to make sure the sand quality, placement, and layers match the need for that particular beach. He took the Civil exam (not sure of specialty) but I'm told a Masters is a requirement for this field. A PhD is desirable due to the bureaucracy you have to deal with to get some projects approved. Travel is absolutely required for his position since his area starts in North Carolina, goes down the coast to Florida, then back up and all the way to Louisiana.

http://www.essie.ufl.edu/research/coastal_and_oceanographic_engineering/

I also have a guy in the office that is an Environmental Scientist (not a PE). He maps the boat basins around private docks for endangered corals and plant species to determine if and where a dock or boat lift can be added in water regulated by the FL Dept of Environmental Protection. Although right now he's busy mapping gopher tortoise holes and scrub jay nests in protected habitat on private property. But he's always in the field doing something.

As for pay, I would bet they are around $80k-$90k now but have ten years of experience. They both started out in the mid $40ks. Florida's cost of living is pretty low so you do need to factor that in for where you want to live. 40k in FL with no state income tax and houses priced below $90k is much better than $60k in San Francisco or New York city.

Back