NCEES Power Practice Exam Passed

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlospe

Reaction score
I took today the NCEES Power Practice Exam and did 79/80 questions in 5 hours.  This was my fourth time practicing it but I haven't seen that exam since couple months ago.  In the mean time I did complex imaginary tests two times, spin-up, Graffeo practice exam and Chaya.  My question to you folks is, if I passed the NCEES practice exam and understand the theory behind those questions, I should do good in the Real exam, right? Or can the questions on the exam be totally different from the practice exam?  Anyone have had an experience with this? Thanks!

Just keep working...make sure your references are ready to go, lunch plans figured out for exam day, and the rest of the odds and ends.

If it's your 5th time, I would hope you'd get a high percentage right. I wouldn't look into it too much.

If you got 79/80 right without looking at solutions and erased problems OR GUESSING then I think you're there. I would try some additional tests like Complex Imaginary or AlexGraffeo's refence book and study guide.   I created my reference formula sheets as I solved problems using Graffeos's book equation sheets as a start.  If you can look at a problem, understand exactly what they are asking for and know exactly where you need to go to find an equation for different problems (Including NEC ) you should relax.  Take a deep breath, get your references and your formula sheets all bounded up so they are legal and pack a cooler full of food for lunch (trust me, bring your lunch....  I'd recommend some fruit, water, sub/sandwiches, soda/coffee, etc.), bring some earplugs, a sweater and keep calm cool and collected.  You got this.

Yes, actually I'm going to start my second round of Graffeo Exam now.  3 more days until the exam! Thanks for your suggestions!

You're probably good. But to answer your question the sample exam is representative of the types/difficulty of the questions you are likely to see, but not necessarily the content. The questions could be from any of the topics listed in the exam specification.

Agreed with not looking further at it too much.  At this point I wouldn't work any more tests.  Sounds like you've done enough.  Make sure your cheat sheet is complete.  I also had two binders stuffed with Georgia Tech review info and information I'd gathered from the internet.  I crossed referenced binder info with specific problems from the sample tests.  The intro to Spinup has an excellent strategy on how to approach test problems.  Worked wonders for me.  Relax.  Get your mind right.  Working too many problems at this point has the potential of causing you to second guess.  if it's feasible visit the site the day before so you know exactly where to go.  On the day of was actually onsite 90 minutes early to avoid any unexpected traffic problems.  Now it's time to get a good night's sleep and, once again, relax. :afro:   Good luck!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi KatyLied PE,

I was doing this morning some Complex Imaginary Code Drill questions and reviewing some code problems, but after so many days studying full time my brain is getting tired...so I totally agree with you and I will just take it easy and won't do alot of problems just finish organizing my stuff and tommorow just rest.  Thanks!

if you did the same test 4 times already, there's no reason not to get in the high 90s.

The problem I see are these random conceptual questions which make zero sense to include. One can just google the different names for a shaded pole motor, or something arbitrary like that.

if you did the same test 4 times already, there's no reason not to get in the high 90s.

The problem I see are these random conceptual questions which make zero sense to include. One can just google the different names for a shaded pole motor, or something arbitrary like that.
I guess "conceptual" is not the right description. Triva questions seem more apt.

Hi KatyLied PE,

I was doing this morning some Complex Imaginary Code Drill questions and reviewing some code problems, but after so many days studying full time my brain is getting tired...so I totally agree with you and I will just take it easy and won't do alot of problems just finish organizing my stuff and tommorow just rest.  Thanks!
That Code Drill book also has a good strategy for the NEC in its intro.  Don't do any more problems but if you follow that strategy regarding the NEC you'll do fine.  I used that and I felt that I got every Code problem right. 

After taking the real test, definitely the questions were different as in the practice test, but the level of difficulty were around the same..couple of trick questions that I couldn't find anything in my reference materials..The wrong answers are part of the multiple choices too..Let's wait for the results!

there were way too many conceptual questions

I didn't study on how certain random things work, I studied on how to solve problems. I have to say all the study material I used were no good for half the test. The PPI briefly goes over power flow and bus configuration which hurt me.

there were way too many conceptual questions

I didn't study on how certain random things work, I studied on how to solve problems. I have to say all the study material I used were no good for half the test. The PPI briefly goes over power flow and bus configuration which hurt me.
And part of that comes from work experience in an electrical-related field of engineering.

Here's one of my favorite exam recaps from a previous exam cycle (specifically electrical power):

I'll repost from main forum for the EE's in the house.

EE - Power. "You sunk my battleship."

Preparation Time/Materials: 250 total hours. 5 textbooks, prep coursework notebook, 2 notebooks of graduate class material, calculators, snacks, rolling suitcase.

Money: ~$1,550.

General Observations: Arrived at my site 30 minutes prior to report time. Noticed that many others had literally libraries and libraries of books. Someone had a giant wagon with bungie cords holding all of the books together. Others just had a single piece of paper. Wild. I randomly started thinking of a national geographic special with narration by Morgan Freeman on PE test taking habits. I needed that laugh to clear my head.

AM Session: Felt the AM session was great. Only ended up with 6-7 that I didn't have a single solid answer or couldn't find it in my reference. I finished slightly early and checked only some of my work.

PM Session: Total unadulterated bloodbath. Couldn't seem to concentrate enough to find the equations I needed. Calculator was spitting out answers that were out of this world. Saw stuff that I barely covered in droves. About 2-3 hours into the afternoon, my brain felt like it had been through a dishwasher and I started hopping around from question to question. Not good. I will be lucky if I got a quarter to half right. I might as well have taken another discipline in the afternoon or gone to work. A monkey may have been able to do better.

Final Thoughts: As I left the exam area, I felt numb, dumb, and a little crushed. I felt like I blew the morning session out of the water. Then the PE got off a torpedo as I was heading to collect my stamp, promotion, and better life. I'm not very good at guessing and doing the math in my head all weekend I kept envisioning a percentage score in the upper 60s with an afternoon diagnostic that simply says "monkey". 6 months of neglecting my wife and family might be for nothing in the end except doing it all over again. I know the pass rate for repeaters is low, but what is the divorce rate?

Oh well. If I recall from a coworker, last years results were released in around 45-50 days following the exam. I think he got his in late May. We shall see. I guess the ultimate decision is now do I crack open another book....or another beer?

First time posting. Been on and off this site the past year after failing this test last year

i thought I was extremely prepared for this exam taking and passing concept imagery, NCEES and spin up practice exams several times. I also took the Georgia tech class.

Despite all that I was surprised the amount of conceptual questions which I had no idea about. I felt like I was tested on how good the references I brought were. 

Thanks to this forum I had grainger, Wilde, amongst others so I think I did ok.

Anybody feel the same way?

And part of that comes from work experience in an electrical-related field of engineering.
not everyone does everything when they have a job. They usually have a "specialty." It'd be illogical for NCEES to think otherwise.

In either case, the study material doesn't go over everything even though the tough questions were textbook related topics. There was one question that required calculation and i only figured it out by reading a DICTIONARY. i couldn't believe that when i came across it. :angry:

Back