Water Quality Problem

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walrus102882

Reaction score
Can any one help me understand how to solve this problem found in Six Minute Solutions? 

A chemical formula typically used to represent biomass is given as C5H7O2N. What is the most nearly the daily nitrogen requirements if the wastewater contains 310 mg/l accetic acid abd the flow rate is 12000 m^3/d?

I do have the answer in the book and i do not understand how they got there. 

Thanks

I'm not sure about this one, but it seems like you need to know the chemical equation for C5H7O2N and acetic acid and nitrogen, convert 310 mg/L acetic acid to moles, find how many moles of nitrogen are needed, then convert to a mass of nitrogen using molecular weight. I would definitely get this one wrong though because I couldn't find the chemical equation in CERM and I don't know how to write it out.

Can you scan the answer and post it? My copy is at work.

Yeah, this is more of a chemistry problem than an engineering problem. This is a stoichiometry problem. At what point of the solution are you getting stuck?

Please note that for the WRE exam, the Six Minute Solution problems are much, much harder than the actual exam problems.

where do you get lost?  Acetic acid is CH3COOH there are 2 C in 1 acetic acid...that's where that fraction is coming from and 5C to 1N for the other.  

The title of this thread should say "Wastewater Chemistry Question". Also, this seems way harder than anything on the PE.

Back