PMP Exam Prep

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lador

Reaction score
Has anyone used Rita Mulcahy PMP Exam Prep for the PMP Exam. And any other material(s) that will be helpful for the exam.

I am thinking of using SchoolofPE to prep for the exam and want to know if anyone has gone through them and how helpful it was to successfully pass the exam.

Thank you for your response.

I just passed the PMP test on Thursday.     Below is what I wrote on another post.  I used the School of PE (called School of PM or just EDUMIND for the PMP).  I purchased the OnDemand Diamond package, not the "live interactive" version (cost was about 1/3 of the live version).  It was good, but the online quizzes had spelling s errors, mistakes, etc. (I used a combination of the online and .pdf version of the quizzes.)  Please note that the questions are mostly "scenario" based and not straight memorization.  

EXAMPLE PROBLEM I JUST MADE UP:  You are a Project Manager on a project tasked with developing a new type of widget for Spacely Sprockets. The team you acquired comprises a diverse and experienced group.  However, during recent project update meetings, you notice that one of your team members, George, has a conflict with another stakeholder that is beginning to affect the project.  As Project Manager, what do you feel the appropriate action would be as a next step:

A.  Setup a meeting with the stakeholder and your HR manager and develop a work improvement plan for George.

B.  Discuss the situation with the Project sponsor in order to assign George to another project.

C.  Discuss the situation individually with George.

D.  Refer to the Conflict Resolution Plan and utilize Conflict Resolution Techniques between George and the stakeholder.

CORRECT ANSWER IS C.  

"I took and passed the PMP test this morning.  I passed on my first attempt (Moderately Proficient across the board) and did find it quite challenging.  The test is four hours and I finished it with about 4 minutes to spare.  I agree if you come in halfway prepared you will find the exam very difficult.

My overall experience is below:

1. My application was audited.  Some sites make a big deal about how to submit your application so there is less chance of it being audited, but overall the audit process was easy and straight forward.  All I had to do was send in my undergrad transcript (I used one of the courses as my 35 hours of PM education), my masters transcript (education level), and my PM work experience (my supervisor signed the form I filled out with my work experience.  They did require him to sign the envelope flap providing proof I had not tampered with it).  Cost was $555.
  2. I purchased the School of PM OnDemand Diamond package since I had previously used The School of PE and had good experience with them.  I went through the videos, notes, took the downloaded quizzes, and did the online exams.  I also downloaded their flashcards to my iPad. The videos were helpful, but I agree with cupojoe PE PMP that their online quizzes had some errors, misspellings, and duplicates.  These helped, but  they need to correct the mistakes.  Cost was $499.
  3. I purchased the PMBOK. Cost was $50.
  4. I purchased some more practice tests from tests.com. Tests were okay, but outdated. Cost was $25.
I spent about 35 hours on the videos and another 55+/- hours studying review notes, going through practice exams, and reviewing the PMBOK . Overall I studied about 15 hours a week for about 6 weeks. 

I don't get a raise, but my company did pay for everything. 

Overall, I am glad I did it and expect to find it helpful."

Take a look at some of the older posts regarding PMP. The Rita book is good. I took schoolofpe for the PE. They had a free trial for school of PM, and was disappointing. They may have improved it since last year, but based on a recent post from this week, it sounds like they still have a long way to go before it is to the level of the School of PE classes.

While the PMP is a lot easier than the PE Exam, don't expect to just show up and pass.  You will need to prepare.   Tailor your studying to your learning style.  There are literally thousands of PMP test preparations courses, methods, resources, etc. out there.  I took the OnDemand School of PM (sister Company of school of PE) and passed.  Class was good, but online quizzes and sample tests were full of errors.  

Follow what works for you and you should be fine.  

For what it's worth, some sites state you need to average 85% on the sample questions to pass.  I averaged in the low 70's on all  the sample tests, quizzes, etc. and scored Moderately Proficient  across all areas on the exam.       

Ok, thank you. I was looking at the eligibility for the application. I have 2 years of participation in multiple projects. Did you have a minimum of 3yrs/4500hrs work experience before you applied?

I have BSc Electrical Engineer and 45 in-class contact hours of project management course. 

I used one of my B.S. classes as the 45 hours as formal training and it is fine as long as it tied into to one of PM processes.

I had many years of experience, but only used one of my current projects I am working on my application, which totaled about 4,600 hours over 2 1/2 to 3 years  (I have heard candidates use their senior year project their total PM experience hours).   Add up your hours and see if you meet the experience portion.  If you do get audited, your supervisor or someone familiar with your experience will need to sign off on your experience.  I got audited and it was not a big deal. 

Ok, thank you. I was looking at the eligibility for the application. I have 2 years of participation in multiple projects. Did you have a minimum of 3yrs/4500hrs work experience before you applied?

I have BSc Electrical Engineer and 45 in-class contact hours of project management course. 
did you do a senior project? did you do projects with your summer internship?

I used one of my B.S. classes as the 45 hours as formal training and it is fine as long as it tied into to one of PM processes.
Can you please expand Abby more on using BS classes as the 45 hours PM training? 

I am planning to take PMP exam in next few months and have more than 3 years project management experience. If I can use any of the classes from my BS Mechanical to get rid of 45 hours PM training requirement that will save me a lot of time and money. 

I did take engineering economics class when I was doing my BS and I think that can relate to PM training. Any thoughts?

Google or do a search on the 47 PMBOK processes.  As long as you 45 hours of formal training and it maps back to one of the processes, it should count.  I am not sure an engineering economic class would count, but a scheduling, estimating, communications, quality, etc. course should count.

Pull out your transcript and compare it against the processes and see if you can find something you can use.  As I mentioned, I got audited but it was no big deal.  I had to furnish a transcript (copy not a certified copy) as my 45 hours formal education ( 3 credit hours x 16 weeks = 48 hours formal education) and it was that simple.     

Rita's book is all you need to pass. Run through it twice. 
I want to buy Rita's  book + flash card + Exam Sim Software. Will these be enough to prepare and the Exam.

Did you attend the 2/3 onsite prep course?

How long/months did it take you to prepare for the exam?

Am asking these questions  because am paying out of pocket and want to make decision as soon as possible.

Thanks for your response

I want to buy Rita's  book + flash card + Exam Sim Software. Will these be enough to prepare and the Exam.

Did you attend the 2/3 onsite prep course?

How long/months did it take you to prepare for the exam?

Am asking these questions  because am paying out of pocket and want to make decision as soon as possible.

Thanks for your response
Don't buy all that other stuff. You won't need it. Just buy Rita's book and consider buying PMBOK. Don't buy the flash cards or software. Waste of money.

Also, don't buy an old copy of the book. They change the make-up of the test all the time, get the latest and greatest Rita Book. The content hasn't changed much, but some of the things get changed up from time to time. 

I bought Andy Crowe's 'The PMP Exam: How to Pass on Your First Try' and the PMBOK and passed on my first try. But that's my study style. I do recommend learning all the processes. This is key to knowing how to answer each question accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back