Pipeline engineering education for mechanical engineers

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alchemon

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am not sure of where this would be most appropriate to list, so I apologize in advance if this is the incorrect location...

My degree is in mechanical engineering (primarily focused on thermal and fluid systems for my electives). I worked for a couple years doing plumbing/fuel gas/fire protection design. I then began working for a natural gas pipeline company. I have learned a tremendous amount since beginning work but feel that I do not have as much engineering knowledge regarding pipelines as I should. 

I am wondering if anyone knows of any online graduate type programs in pipeline engineering? I have seen that the University of Houston has one that is relatively close to what I do but it appears to be primarily geared towards off-shore piping (I am onshore). Oklahoma has another program but it appears to be more towards the production/processing side. What I have found is that most Petroleum Engineering programs are geared towards this rather than transmission (perhaps this would be covered under mechanical engineering departments at some places and I am overlooking?).

If anyone isn't aware of such programs, some suggestions on books, etc that I could purchase would be appreciated. Most of the ones I have found seem to not be intended for engineers. I have found Gas Pipeline Hydraulics which looks promising as a good introduction from the table of contents.

Back