Hello... and HELP!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orangineer

Reaction score
...just kidding with the dramatic cry for help.

But I do have a question for the PE-knowledgeable: what is an "engagement," with respect to the CA Civil PE Engagement Record and Reference Form? It was explained to me this morning at work that you need 4+ engagements, each with an associated reference, but that they can all take place in the same job under the same employer. Therefore the employment dates can be the same for all 4 engagements (in my case, just over 2 years of employment). Only the "total time worked" and "qualifying work" will be shorter, and specific to each engagement.

I've gotten mixed messages elsewhere, so... Is that correct?

Thanks!

It's been a few years since my PE application, but per my understanding, and "engagement" is just a continuous period of time with one employer.

In fact, the application instructions state "Different projects for one employer at one level of responsibility are not considered separate engagements".

I suppose if you had different levels of responsibility (e.g. major promotions?) at one employer, you could split it into multiple engagements.

I ended up submitting my application with one engagement covering the entirety of experience required, with multiple references (to meet that quota) all vouching for the same engagement.

Lomarandil, thanks for sharing.

I am going with a similar approach, and want to mention for others' benefit that I called the Board and got the following explanation: it is sufficient to have only one engagement (job) - so all 4 reference forms say 'Engagement 1' and have the same employment dates and Total Time Worked in Months - it's just that there needs to be a reference vouching for every month of that to count towards the total qualifying work experience. The time periods being vouched for can overlap between different references, but they won't count as double. The "Qualifying Experience in Months" box on page 1 is only the number of months that particular reference is vouching for, which is the date range on page 2.

On the bright side, I actually look forward to studying statics and seismic principles now - it can't be any worse than this.

Lomarandil, thanks for sharing.

I am going with a similar approach, and want to mention for others' benefit that I called the Board and got the following explanation: it is sufficient to have only one engagement (job) - so all 4 reference forms say 'Engagement 1' and have the same employment dates and Total Time Worked in Months - it's just that there needs to be a reference vouching for every month of that to count towards the total qualifying work experience. The time periods being vouched for can overlap between different references, but they won't count as double. The "Qualifying Experience in Months" box on page 1 is only the number of months that particular reference is vouching for, which is the date range on page 2.

On the bright side, I actually look forward to studying statics and seismic principles now - it can't be any worse than this.
Wait until you take the surveying exam...

Back