Engineer Boards

​ ​ ​
NJmike PE

Inspirational Quotes

6 minutes ago, knight1fox3 said:

This is the exact motto for @matt267 PE!

Just livin' the dream brotha'. Just livin' the dream. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, matt267 PE said:

Livin' the dream 1 ban at a time... :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, matt267 PE said:

Inspiring!

NOTHING IS REAL

LSD Yellow Submarine.gif

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.   Hunter S Thompson

Overweight Waffle House waitresses need love too.  Tiger Woods

On Profitability

"No company will be able to sustain its profitability unless it is able to break down the costs of doing business while simultaneously understanding the cost of each step in the manufacturing or operation process. To do so, a company must firmly establish adequate accounting controls and cost analysis." - Phil Fisher

The worst of the deadly seven sins

"Of the seven deadly sins, envy is the worst because if you have it, you don't feel better. Your feel worse....I've had some good times with gluttony... we won't get into lust."

- Warren Buffett

• Haha 1

On Agreement: One of my favorite Paragraphs or Clauses

WHEREAS, Partner/Investor One and Partner/Investor Two hereby state that we are investors who are seeking to accumulate wealth, and to pursue financial happiness. The parties affirm to refuse strangers, financial experts, or experts to make my financial decisions for the parties.  

Attitude of Manager

The attitude of our managers vividly contrasts with that of the young man who married a tycoon's only child, a decidedly homely and dull lass. Relieved, the father called in his new son-in-law after the wedding and began to discuss the future:

Father: "Son, you're the boy I always wanted and never had. Here's a stock certificate for 50% of the company. You're my equal partner from now on."

Son-in-law: "Thanks, dad."

Father: "Now, what would you like to run? How about sales?"

Son-in-law: "I'm afraid I couldn't sell water to a man crawling in the Sahara."

Father: "Well then, how about heading human relations?"

Son-in-law: "I really don't care for people."

Father: "No problem, we have lots of other spots in the business. What would you like to do?"

Son-in-law: "Actually, nothing appeals to me. Why don't you just buy me out?"

"Excerpt from Warren Buffett"

"If you have to struggle to succeed, you're not a success.  You're a struggler".  

"No student has ever had to struggle for an A".

Definition of struggle

struggled; struggling play \-g(ə-)liŋ\
intransitive verb
1: to make strenuous or violent efforts in the face of difficulties or opposition 
  • struggling with the problem
2: to proceed with difficulty or with great effort 
  • struggled through the high grass
  • struggling to make a living

struggler

play \-g(ə-)lər\ noun

Timing the Market (stocks, real estate, Cryptocurrency, etc.) 

You won't know what is going to happen to the Market, and you won't know when the market is going to go up or down...all I want to know is where I am going to die, so I will never go there." - Warren Buffett 

No need to do deals all the time to justify that you are doing something

"When a chief executive officer is encouraged by his advisers to make deals, he responds much as would a teenage boy who is encouraged by his father to have a normal sex life. It's not a push he needs." - Warren Buffett

Experience - the best teacher

"You want to learn from experience, but you want to learn from other people's experience when you can." 

"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with the money and the man with money leaves with experience." 

Edited by Dean Agnostic

3 Qualities to get hired or someone to hire

"In looking for someone to hire, you look for three qualities: integrity, intelligence, and energy. But the most important is integrity because if they don't have have that, the other two qualities, intelligence and energy, are going to kill you." - Warren buffett

• Like 1

Loneliness

"The day you become a leader, you will be very lonely. Even the second and third-in-command will find it difficult to understand you well...I'm willing to shoulder the responsibility of failure." - Jack Ma

Authority Figure - Ph.D. 

Upon entering the meeting room, three heads of different companies distribute their books, and paper. In the paper says  'Proposed Project.....Very truly yours, Ph.D. Engineering, Ph.D. Architecture, Ph.D. Finance, etc...'  In that micro moment, the look on the customers' eyes says yes these are the right guys to execute on the project.

At the time, I didn't know what to say and do to compete. I Froze :D. I was young and optimistic, but had no reputation so we lose the bid (8 months of work plus travel expenses) :party-smiley-048:

@Dean Agnostic

These are not the droids I was looking for.

• Haha 1

We think like engineers

"We have lower due diligence expenses than anyone in America. I know of a place that pays over $200 million to its accountants every year, and I know we are safer because we think like engineers - we want margins of reliability..." - Charlie Munger

Edited by Dean Agnostic

Kinds of businesses concept

"There are two kinds of businesses: The first earns 12%, and you can take it out at the end of the year. The second earns 12%, but all the excess cash must be reinvested-there's never any cash. It reminds me of the guy who looks at all his equipment and says, 'There's all of my profit.' We hate that kind of business." - Charlie Munger

Envy - the great driver

One investment bank can't stand some other investment bank being bigger and better. Even though the guy is making $5 million a year, he can't stand it. It's envy. And envy was in the laws of Moses, you couldn't even covet your neighbor's donkey. I mean, those old Jews really knew it would cause a lot of trouble even among sheep herders." - Charlie Munger

This is the 80s and I am down with the ladies

Tone Loc

• Haha 1