Need Help with a problem - Chemical Exam - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
bgamad1

Need Help with a problem

I created a new account because I need help with this particular problem. 

I did chemical engineering but have been working in control systems last 7 or 8 years, so needless to say I'm pretty lost when it comes to fluid dynamics. 

I basically need to be taught how to approach this problem. I know you can't simply use Bernoulli's equation because viscosity is involved. 

Thanks for help. 

reddit.JPG

Balance using Bernoulli. Plenty of good problems to solve things like this in the numerous pratice guides I possess.

Bernoulli Equation: h1 + hpump = h2

h1 : Suction Head

hpump : Pump Head

h2 : Discharge Head

100 lb/in2 x 144 in2/ft2 / (0.8 x 62.4 lb/ft3) + 100 ft = P2 lb/in2 x 144 in2/ft2 / (0.8 x 62.4 lb/ft3)

P2 = 134.67 psig =~135 psig

Since the question states that the piping losses are insignificant, there is no need to calculate friction head, hf. (Anyway, you would need the piping size and flowrate to calculate velocity and then friction) Thus, viscosity, molecular weight and temperature data in the question are useless. Many questions in PE exam have this kind of nature, meaning that the exam giver tends to provide unnecessary data to make it tricky!