Considering the FPE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodal

Reaction score
I have a friend that does Federal work around the country.  He has said if I had the FPE he could use us.  I already have my PE with HVAC and do quite a bit of FP engineering already.  Not sure if I want to go through the studying process again though.  Any opinions?

I had my HVAC PE like you before I took my FP exam. If you have any questions, let me know.

Some of the things you really want to know:

• I started studying in June for the October test.
  • The best thing you can do is sign up for the SFPE class. It's a little expensive ($1495) but it's totally worth it.
  • Compared to the HVAC test, I would say it's a little easier.
  • Be patient with the reference materials. There are a lot of typos in the SFPE and NFPA Handbooks and they can be a little frustrating as you're studying.
  • I made the transition from ME to FPE and it's opened up a lot of doors for me. I feel like I have better job options with the FPE than with the HVAC PE. But that's just my experience, YMMV
Anything else, just post it here.

I have not looked into this very much, so I don't really know what I'm getting myself into.  Is it alot of calculations or more code related questions?

I had my HVAC PE like you before I took my FP exam. If you have any questions, let me know.

Some of the things you really want to know:

• I started studying in June for the October test.
  • The best thing you can do is sign up for the SFPE class. It's a little expensive ($1495) but it's totally worth it.
  • Compared to the HVAC test, I would say it's a little easier.
  • Be patient with the reference materials. There are a lot of typos in the SFPE and NFPA Handbooks and they can be a little frustrating as you're studying.
  • I made the transition from ME to FPE and it's opened up a lot of doors for me. I feel like I have better job options with the FPE than with the HVAC PE. But that's just my experience, YMMV
Anything else, just post it here.
How do you get references for FPE exam? 

I mean if you have been working as HVAC engineer how do you show you have enough experience required to take FPE exam?

Back