Ultra low temperature lighting

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetsFan

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any LED lighting that can be used at -50°C?  It seems most manufacturers only test down to -40°C.  We are currently using incandescent bulbs in our application, but the heat and electrical loads are pretty large.  I'm sure somebody in Alaska has used some for outdoor lighting that work on those super cold days.

Does anyone know of any LED lighting that can be used at -50°C?  It seems most manufacturers only test down to -40°C.  We are currently using incandescent bulbs in our application, but the heat and electrical loads are pretty large.  I'm sure somebody in Alaska has used some for outdoor lighting that work on those super cold days.
First off, where in the world would this even be used where that was the design SPECIFICATION operating temperature. I think other problems would be encountered other than just lighting at that extreme temp.

We design ultra low temperature freezers for pharmaceutical companies. -20°C used to be the standard but it seems they are slowly creeping towards -40, -50, and have even received a request for a -80°C freezer.

Thanks, I contacted them a couple of weeks back.  They showed me this fixture: http://www.holophane.com/products/family.asp?brand=hlp&family=PHS - Phuzion LED High Bay&producttype=Indoor&category=LED&subcategory=LED

Since it has a remote driver, the actual LED's and fixture would be the only parts subjected to the -50°C ambient.  In theory it would work, but it hasn't been tested.  I actually purchased a couple of Kurtzon LED fixtures to test in one of the other freezers we've built.  I'll let you know if it works.

The biggest issue i see with using LEDs in that temperature (if they even make them) is the lack of heating from the LEDs which present lighting provides to remove ice/snow buildup on lenses and housing. 

just my 2 cents

The biggest issue i see with using LEDs in that temperature (if they even make them) is the lack of heating from the LEDs which present lighting provides to remove ice/snow buildup on lenses and housing. 

just my 2 cents
Way to bump a 2-year old thread! :thumbs:

Most freezer manufacturers include their own lights for their equipment, that way they can be factory tested to whatever specifications they want to use.   I guess that's what you're doing here.  I've never had to search for any such type fixture and I've designed lighting for hospitals, university research labs, restaurants, etc.  I'm curious, what did you end up using?

Back