Hi from Msia

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasontyh

Reaction score
Greetings from Malaysia. 

Civil Engineer working mainly on Water Loss reduction for the past 7 years.

BEng (UK, 2005) ; MSc (UK, 2011)

Planning to move to USA. 

Quick question: Should I take my PE in my home country before leaving for USA? Or just focus on FE and PE in the states?

I say take it in your home country. If you don't make it to the states, or your move is delayed, you'll at least have your PE at home.

I say take it in your home country. If you don't make it to the states, or your move is delayed, you'll at least have your PE at home.
Thanks for the info.

Yes that sounds conservative. 

If i do get my home PE, I'll be able to apply for a temporary licensure in USA for 1 year right?

Ok. Something about your question is confusing.

Do you mean you're contemplating taking "Chartership" in your country or the PE? From what I understand, the PE exam is only given in a handful of countries but for U.S. licensing. I don't think Malaysia is one of them. I know other countries offer Chartership but people I know have to meet US requirement in a specific state then take the PE. There isn't an International PE exchange that I know of. I could be wrong.

My mom always said 'don't leave for tomorrow what you can do today'. If you can make it happen, do it. A PE commands a higher salary in the U.S. My guess is you won't be able to until you're in the U.S. or you work for a company with U.S. offices and you can meet experience + school requirements of one of the states where they have offices.

Sent from my SURTAB-722-3G-HD-1S using Tapatalk

Ok. Something about your question is confusing. Do you mean you're contemplating taking "Chartership" in your country or the PE? Fr....
Just a coincidence in my country it's called Professional Engineer as well.

I've given NCEES a call, and a PE in my country does not allow for waiver of any kind for the FE exam or PE licensure.

I'll still have to go for the FE exam when I get to USA .

and to be eligible to apply for PE, I'll need at least 2years engineer experience ( USA ) + 2 years engineer experience (from foreign country)

Back