Wood for bbq

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audi Driver P.E.

Reaction score
I've used a lot of hickory.  Some apple.  Some cherry.  Even some maple and alder.

Anyone ever use madrone or myrtle wood for BBQ or smoking meats?  Thinking I might try some.

Creosote.

But to answer the question, no I have not used madrone or myrtle wood.

Last edited by a moderator:
Citrus is a nice change. It's tough to get a hold of, but it gives off a good flavor. I have never been a big fan of cherry.

Never used it; I typically use a blend of maple, apple and hickory ... alder for fish.

Is this our BBQ thread?

It Was a cold snowy day so might as well throw on a little Q!

792efd1df3b4cf9936c947b35ba7a287.jpg

Color is almost perfect:)

BBQ is the process of slow cooking a pig until it is 140^ - this is a pork loin, well part of it anyways....
We northerners don't eat pork that's "pink"  We don't want to get Trichinosis.

from: https://www.merckmanuals.com/home/infections/parasitic-infections/trichinosis

Trichinosis is prevented by thoroughly cooking meats, especially pork and pork products, to a temperature higher than 160° F (71° C), until they are brown throughout. Alternatively, larvae can be killed in domestic pork that is less than 6 inches thick by freezing the pork at -15° F (-5° C) for 20 days. Freezing is not recommended for meat from wild animals because they may be infected with Trichinella species that are not killed by low temperatures.

Smoking, salting, or microwave cooking does not reliably kill the larvae.

The pink doesn't indicate that the meat is "raw" like in hamburger or steak, its how the meat is cooked through the smoking process that turns the outer edges that color..

I normally cook mine to around 150 and then let it sit before cutting and you get an extra 5 degrees out of it, but too much more than that it dry's out.. I've been feeding folks like this my whole life and no one has gotten sick, but maybe you yanks have a weaker immune system...

even when we smoke a turkey to 180 degrees it still a pink color & about the best tasting turkey you can find..

Last edited by a moderator:
We are responsible for the turkey and ham this year again.  We have smoked them both in the past and gotten mixed results.  The wife is going to spatchcock (sp?) the turkey to try to get the cooking time down and leave the skin crunchy.  I think we are going to use the wood from some barren peach trees i cut down this year.  Fingers are crossed.  

I was just reading up smoking turkeys. They actually suggest using fruit trees in the ones I saw. Bet it will turn out great.

I'm using mesquite cause that's just what I always use. Also going to brine it with some salt and spices and try injecting cajun seasoning in it. I'll probably get in trouble for making it too spicy for the kids but it looked to good not to try. 

Now...what to drink while I sit up all night tending the smoker??🤔

so are you using the peach trees for all of the wood (fuel) or just for some flavoring mixed in with the charcoal  / pellets?  I have never used 100% 'wood' in smoking, but I think that's what the actual BBQ places do - but they have those "huge" smokers...

so are you using the peach trees for all of the wood (fuel) or just for some flavoring mixed in with the charcoal  / pellets?  I have never used 100% 'wood' in smoking, but I think that's what the actual BBQ places do - but they have those "huge" smokers...
Yeah I always have about 5 or 6 coals burning to keep the temp up.

Back