Question about required experience for PE exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shuusin

Reaction score
I didn't take the FE out of college (stupid, I know), and have been working 7 years in my field now. If I pass the FE and become an EIT, do I have to work an additional 4 years to meet the professional experience requirement or would my previous years qualify? Put another way, could I take the FE and PE exams in about a year or so?

in IL as long as the experience meets the specs, you could take both tests the same weekend and if passed both you could get your # right away.

I didn't take the FE out of college (stupid, I know), and have been working 7 years in my field now. If I pass the FE and become an EIT, do I have to work an additional 4 years to meet the professional experience requirement or would my previous years qualify? Put another way, could I take the FE and PE exams in about a year or so?
I'm in a similar situation in TX and didn't need to wait. It was over 10 years from graduation of undergrad to when I took and passed the FE, then was approved to sit for the PE the next time the test was offered.

The language in TX just mentions "years experience as an engineer." The key is not that it requires one to be an EIT while acquiring those years experience.

I'm in a similar situation in TX and didn't need to wait. It was over 10 years from graduation of undergrad to when I took and passed the FE, then was approved to sit for the PE the next time the test was offered.

The language in TX just mentions "years experience as an engineer." The key is not that it requires one to be an EIT while acquiring those years experience.
In Texas, starting with the October 2016 exam, you don't need 4 years experience to sit for the exam. So you could take both the FE then the PE within a year starting now. However, like other states, you will need to gain your experience before they grant your license.

In Texas, starting with the October 2016 exam, you don't need 4 years experience to sit for the exam. So you could take both the FE then the PE within a year starting now. However, like other states, you will need to gain your experience before they grant your license.
I'm aware of the change, but don't really think it's a good idea. If the pass rate stays the same, all it says is that the test is absolutely not indicative that actual engineering experience is needed. I'd say it's probably true, since it's much more of an academic test than focusing on practical engineering judgement. But it just reinforces that it should probably be tailored a bit more to reflect useful engineering experience and judgement gained in a typical engineering job performing engineering calculations in that field.

I'm aware of the change, but don't really think it's a good idea. If the pass rate stays the same, all it says is that the test is absolutely not indicative that actual engineering experience is needed. I'd say it's probably true, since it's much more of an academic test than focusing on practical engineering judgement. But it just reinforces that it should probably be tailored a bit more to reflect useful engineering experience and judgement gained in a typical engineering job performing engineering calculations in that field.

PE pass vs exp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Still don't agree with the decoupling at all. Book smart does not equate to good engineer. Never has, never will.
In Florida you have to pass the Engineering Rules and Ethics online quiz before being approved to sit for the PE. Passing the multiple choice ethics portion guarantees that you are an ethical person and will continue to be ethical for the rest of your career. Thank goodness for that.

Still don't agree with the decoupling at all. Book smart does not equate to good engineer. Never has, never will.
Neither does passing a test. I've met my fair share of PEs that certainly don't qualify as "good engineers". 

I support the decoupling because it allows examinees to have more flexibility in when they decided to sit for the exam. However, I would recommend working for at least a year before taking it. Based on the NCEES graph, it seems the 3-5 yr range is the ideal time. 

On May 13, 2016 at 1:10 PM, Ken PE 3.0 said: Still don't agree with the decoupling at all. Book smart does not equate to good engineer. Never has, never will.
Neither does passing a test. I've met my fair share of PEs that certainly don't qualify as "good engineers". I support the decoupling because it allows examinees to have more flexibility in when they decided to sit for the exam. However, I would recommend working for at least a year before taking it. Based on the NCEES graph, it seems the 3-5 yr range is the ideal time. 
To each their own. At least, for now, I don't have to worry about any of the 'early' test takers practicing in my state.

Although, not sure how taking a test early equates to flexibility. I could see that argument for the computer based testing.

To each their own. At least, for now, I don't have to worry about any of the 'early' test takers practicing in my state.

Although, not sure how taking a test early equates to flexibility. I could see that argument for the computer based testing.
Well the 'early takers' cannot practice until they fulfill the experience requirement anyway. 

The current system forces you to take the exam after your 4th year of experience. Decoupling allows you take it earlier, and likely at a more convienent time. For example, my wife is in medical school and was studying for her board exams this spring, so I went ahead and registered to take the exam since it was a good time for me. Under the traditional system, I would have had wait till next year, when we will likely be moving for her residency. 

The test is supposed to reflect real world knowledge. If the pass rate is high for less experience, the test is nothing more than fe 2.0

I have and always will maintain that all requirements, no matter what they are, should be the same for all PE's.

Ah, I see. Yes, the test is suppose to be geared toward more practical knowledge/practices. Whether it actually is or not is another matter. It will be interesting to see how the pass rate is affected going forward.

Yes, the requirements for PEs should be the same. The requirements are still the same (BS, FE, experience, PE). The only thing that has changed is the PE doesn't have to be tacked on at the end. 

1 hour ago, Def said: I'm aware of the change, but don't really think it's a good idea. If the pass rate stays the same, all it says is that the test is absolutely not indicative that actual engineering experience is needed. I'd say it's probably true, since it's much more of an academic test than focusing on practical engineering judgement. But it just reinforces that it should probably be tailored a bit more to reflect useful engineering experience and judgement gained in a typical engineering job performing engineering calculations in that field.

/monthly_2016_05/5735e198e1ce1_PEpassvsexp.thumb.jpg.e8d460e49ea1ba73dcc3a7bed4543ae3.jpg

Looks like the best chance happens when you... Read the chart correctly before posting

/monthly_2016_05/5735e198e1ce1_PEpassvsexp.thumb.jpg.e8d460e49ea1ba73dcc3a7bed4543ae3.jpg

Looks like the best chance happens when you... Read the chart correctly before posting
so, the test is designed for 4 years experience, and as you get further away from that the pass rate goes down.  Prior, likely because you don't have enough experience.  Beyond, because you're going too far away from academic experience (i.e. how to study for exams, recall of info from academic years, etc.)  Makes perfect sense.  Glad I was an anomaly on that chart.

Back