The choice of discipline for PE exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chunhui Jiang

Reaction score
Hi,

I am major in petroleum engineering, and I also worked as a petroleum engineer for about 1 year, then I am laid off as the environment of oil & gas went down.

As TX state will issue a new rule in May 2016, and we can take the exam prior 4 years working experiences, so I am plan to take the exam in Oct 2016. However, I am thinking about which discipline is better for me in this conditions. If I just consider about my major, I will take the petroleum exam, but petroleum is always a risky major. If I want to choose a common major, I will take the mechanical, civil, or electrical exam, but I did not learn the professional courses for these majors, so it will be really difficult for me to pass the exam if I just prepare by myself.

Is there any recommendation for the choice of discipline? Thanks

See above.  It will make the studying easier and more "enjoyable" and you will be more comfortable on the exam when you take it.

The discipline tests are generally written around the curriculum for an undergraduate degree in that discipline, plus professional experience in said disciple. It would require additional studying in possibly new subject matter to study for a test in a different disciple; even if it is a parent branch.

Something to consider for petroleum engineering is that the retake passing rate for that test is absolutely abysmal. Almost 0%. If you fail petroleum the first go around then you may want to consider a different test the next attempt.

I am Petroleum Engineer by degree however never worked in the field (graduated when oil was $0.10/bbl).  I have worked in Transportation for a bit, this is my career. However, the

fundamental concepts do not come as easily as if I earned my degree in Civil.  I still remember so many basics from my under-grad courses in petroleum and do not have

that with civil. I vote PE Exam - Petroleum.

The discipline tests are generally written around the curriculum for an undergraduate degree in that discipline, plus professional experience in said disciple. It would require additional studying in possibly new subject matter to study for a test in a different disciple; even if it is a parent branch.

Something to consider for petroleum engineering is that the retake passing rate for that test is absolutely abysmal. Almost 0%. If you fail petroleum the first go around then you may want to consider a different test the next attempt.
I do not know why the passing rate for retaking the exam is so low. Is not the same difficulty for the retake questions compared to the first time take questions?

I am Petroleum Engineer by degree however never worked in the field (graduated when oil was $0.10/bbl).  I have worked in Transportation for a bit, this is my career. However, the

fundamental concepts do not come as easily as if I earned my degree in Civil.  I still remember so many basics from my under-grad courses in petroleum and do not have

that with civil. I vote PE Exam - Petroleum.
I am sorry for that...so did you take the petroleum PE exam?

I do not know why the passing rate for retaking the exam is so low. Is not the same difficulty for the retake questions compared to the first time take questions?
the test for re-takers and first time takers is the same, it is an issue of knowing the topic.... looks like people know it or dont without much middle ground!

Hi,

I would also suggest you take your PE in Petroleum Engineering. Since you should be able to pass, you have a year of experience. Probably until oil prices climb back up, maybe get and civil engineer or transportation entry level job, and get some experience. Take the civil later. Never hurts to have options, especially since the oilfield is always up and down.

Long time ago I thought about petroleum engineering when I was working as worm, chain hand, motor hand, and derrick hand, and hoping to be assistant driller. Then life happened, oil prices dropped and the rig got stacked out. Started working on workover rigs, great for six months then the wages got cut 25% and hours went from 60-70 to 40-45hrs per week. Then the cut insurance, and we get our 40 hours in three days servicing pumpers, breaking them down by hand, paraffin all over your clothes. That's when I moved back home. But my daughter was born in Oklahoma and m sister still lives there. It was a great experience.  But I like my civil engineering job now a lot more.

Good Luck

Interested question.   Is there a view out there as to what PE exams are easier/harder than others?  Anyone care to list their thoughts of PE exams from easiest to most difficult?

Back