East TN Electrical Engineer : Exam Eligibility Woes

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Love_Hertz

Reaction score
Good Morning Crew,

I am an electrical engineer at a Federally Funded Research and Development Center in East Tennessee. I started my career off with a BS EET in 2003 and got a job as a technician, then worked my way into a engineering role. Around 2011 I went back to the University of Tennessee for my BS in Electrical Engineering, I completed that degree in 2014. I then started work on my MS in Electrical Engineering at the University of Tennessee and finished that this semester. I worked continuously at the FFRDC the entire time. I also had a RA position at UT during my MS. My thesis was in microelectronics design. 

Most of my work experience has been board level and system level design of electronics and electrical systems for radiation detection electronics, motion control and automation for laboratory systems. I have done a mix of hardware, software and firmware. The majority of this time has been with one group at the FFRDC, which had no PE's in the group. Now I have switched positions and the new group also has no PE's.

So I am looking for guidance on how to handle the progressive engineering experience requirement for PE supervision. How can I get the experience requirement? All the electrical PE's I know don't do board level and system level electronics. Most electronics guys work under the industrial exemption and don't get the PE because of that.

The way I am funded at work requires the drafting of proposals to government agencies. I want to get my PE to help my proposals stand out and show that by funding me they are getting an engineered product. 

I am a firm believer that all engineers should get licensed to increase professionalism. I'm willing to get licensed in another state. Any suggestions?

If you don't have any PE's in your department that are willing to sign off on your application, I would suggest looking at your state guidelines to see if they list industrial exemptions anywhere in there. Or, you could give them a call and see what they have to say. It can't hurt.

Best of luck!

I agree with Ken.  Call your board and tell them your situation and see what they say.

On 4/24/2016 at 10:28 AM, Love_Hertz said:
Good Morning Crew,

I am an electrical engineer at a Federally Funded Research and Development Center in East Tennessee. I started my career off with a BS EET in 2003 and got a job as a technician, then worked my way into a engineering role. Around 2011 I went back to the University of Tennessee for my BS in Electrical Engineering, I completed that degree in 2014. I then started work on my MS in Electrical Engineering at the University of Tennessee and finished that this semester. I worked continuously at the FFRDC the entire time. I also had a RA position at UT during my MS. My thesis was in microelectronics design. 

Most of my work experience has been board level and system level design of electronics and electrical systems for radiation detection electronics, motion control and automation for laboratory systems. I have done a mix of hardware, software and firmware. The majority of this time has been with one group at the FFRDC, which had no PE's in the group. Now I have switched positions and the new group also has no PE's.

So I am looking for guidance on how to handle the progressive engineering experience requirement for PE supervision. How can I get the experience requirement? All the electrical PE's I know don't do board level and system level electronics. Most electronics guys work under the industrial exemption and don't get the PE because of that.

The way I am funded at work requires the drafting of proposals to government agencies. I want to get my PE to help my proposals stand out and show that by funding me they are getting an engineered product. 

I am a firm believer that all engineers should get licensed to increase professionalism. I'm willing to get licensed in another state. Any suggestions?

Hertz I hope I'm not too late and that you still check here because I have two recommendations for you.

First - you'd be surprised at how friendly some of the state boards can be.  I would call yours and ask who the best person would be to talk to about figuring out how to modify your work experience so that it can count towards the requirements.  Keep in mind that the state boards want you take the exam, its helps fund them even if in a small way.  If you speak to someone who is unsure or not as helpful, ask politely who else would be a good person to talk to.

Make sure to have researched before hand all of the requirements for your state and would definitely count for you and what may be a grey area.  

Have this printed out and ready before you make the call. 

Second - If you are successful, take notes, and approach your boss and work group with what you learned. 

Find out a win-win approach that helps them and you get the experience you need that will get you the eligibility you are looking for. 

You don't know until you ask and you have absolutely nothing to lose. 

Good luck!

Back