GEO Depth - April 2016 Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geomane

Reaction score
What references did you GEO guy's and gal's find useful during the exam? Are there any references you wished you would have brought along?

I used the All-in-One by Goswani for both AM and PM. I also had my school notes, Soil Mechanics by Lambe and Whitman just in case and my own equations sheet for quick lookup rather than flipping pages. Everything I needed was in the All-in-One. Most of it is likely in the CERM, but I can't say for sure because I didn't really study with it. I just had it for a few things that the All-in-One didn't have or was too brief on (i.e., Slope of temporary excavation). 

There wasn't a question that had me going "Oh I wish I had that". But that's only because I knew I wasn't going to bother with certain things if they came up. For example, the All-in-One, and even the CERM I believe, doesn't have depth coverage for Knowledge Area IV and parts of Knowledge Area X and some other things I'm sure, from the depth geotech test plan/specifications. So if you want to be prepared for questions like that, you want to make sure you know how to do them and have the proper reference.

I took CERM, All in one, Das (Geotech and Foundation), and Practices Exams.

I think the most important thing you should be familiar with your references (what did you use for your study)

I took too much and left home the soils engineering book I needed the most. Took: Goswami, CERM, Geotech Engrs Portable Handbook, NAVFAC (Useless), Geotech Engr and Foundation Engr (Das) and many notebooks. I used my notes, Goswami and Geotech Handbook the most.

I noticed all of you took the Goswami book. I do not have this book and likely will not purchase it as I have more than enough references to choose from that I am already familiar with.

Thanks for your input though!

I noticed all of you took the Goswami book. I do not have this book and likely will not purchase it
Everyone I know on the East Coast used the All-in-One. I got to CA and everyone uses the CERM. But it's all about what you use to study.

Personally, All-in-One helped my focus and understanding in reviewing, and it minimized flipping through references. Pass or Fail, it was a well-invested 50 bucks and the September 2015 problem sets he made were closer to exam difficulty than the previous problems book. 

I had a bound set of my cheat sheets on the desk with All-in-One. The CERM was on the crate on the floor along with other references. I looked at it 4-5 times in 8hrs and a few of those, I couldn't even find what I was hoping to find.

Whatever you use, make sure you start using it early so you cover everything and know what you need to supplement. At that point, I don't think it matters what you have.

I used the EET binders for all my geotech problems.  I also took the CERM, Das books, and the NAVFAC DM's.  The NAVFAC manuals helped me with one problem that first time I took the exam.  Didn't use them much this go around.  Biggest thing that helped me was more practice exams, specifically from Goswami. 

Thanks, tangowhiskey. I am currently enrolled in the EET live webinar. I am able to access past recordings right now and like it so far. 

Geotechnical Engineer's Portable Handbook and CERM took care of most the problems.

I picked off a few others with my other soils books: Coduto & McCarthy

I also used my EET binder for all the geotech problems. I took the webinar on-demand and passed on the first try this past April. 

Back