adding a fireplace / woodstove

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
So for whatever reason our house in Colorado  doesn't have a fireplace.  The people that built it opted not to put it in (& it does make the Living room much larger) but the wife wants me to put in a gas woodstove in the corner.  Been doing some research on them and it seems in CO that ventless is not recommended due to the thin air, so I am looking at cutting a hole through the side of my house. :(  for the venting

I hate to hire people to do stuff but I am trying to see if anyone else has messed with this before?  I was contemplating hiring someone to run a gas line to the new location and then install some tile in the corner  and drill a gigantic hole in the side of my house and hope for the best?

Thoughts or ideas appreciated?

I'd get prices for the stove installed.  The pipe outside will need to be higher than the roof line so downdraft won't push the exhaust back into the house

Last edited by a moderator:
yup.  do the tile yourself and have an installer and plumber do the rest.

I thought I've seen these things on the side of the house that deal with the gas fireplaces? So u have to run the vent pipe all the way to the roof?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a gas insert stove in my living room.  It exits through a vent on the exterior wall.  

I would recommend having some company put the thing in and you simply do the finishing.

In our house, we had a wood fireplace that we had converted into a gas fireplace. There is just something about grabbing a beer and watching football with the fireplace on. Plus, when you're done you just turn it off and there is no clean-up.

We had a gas fireplace put in on the basement level.  It just vents outside with no riser and all the work was inspected by the county for code.  The hood has "HOT" stamped on it, but I just looked and there are some pine needles on it so it must not be that hot. 

They recommend keeping the vent away from brush/leaves/combustibles.  Depending on local codes, there may be a certain height minimum.  Mine is somewhere around 8 feet off the ground, and that seems to be the standard.  Elsewhere, I've seen them at standing height, which would normally be a no-no for safety reasons.  I'm not sure how hot they actually get though, as mine is affixed to vinyl siding and there is no indicator of melting or softening of the vinyl.  

I believe local codes vary.  It might be different for gas versus wood also.

If you think about it, my gas heating burner and gas water heater exhaust out the roof, as does the chimney on the fireplaces, but the gas stove/oven doesn't.

I believe local codes vary.  It might be different for gas versus wood also.

If you think about it, my gas heating burner and gas water heater exhaust out the roof, as does the chimney on the fireplaces, but the gas stove/oven doesn't.
Often is, and tied to the fact that gas fireplaces don't deal with creosote.  

We have a ventless gas fire place and it puts 100% of the heat in the house. My old house had a regular fireplace and we got no heat out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The vent for our gas fireplace can be seen just above my son's head in between the windows. It's probably 5' off the ground.

IMAG0497_zps21bcedcf.jpg

Instead of installing the fireplace, just buy our house. Here, it's already installed.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes that's the "thing I was referring too (in dex's pic)

I went to a fireplace store in town and the instructions didn't look too bad, but if I have to pull a permit I will probably just get some quotes.  It didn't really look that difficult to be honest. Other than tapping into the gas line.  Not putting in a real wood stove, just a gas one that will provide some heat

My in laws have a vent less (gas) wood stove and it provides a ton of heat, but from what the people at the fire place stores tell me you cant use the vent less ones hear at 5,400 feet.

& I cant afford your house, If I hadn't bought something 2 years ago I would either still be renting or living in Firestone ;)

it didn't get much above 15 degrees the entire month of January ;)

We bought an electric wood stove for looks, it puts out a little heat if your laying right in front of it..

Back