Looking for books for Petroleum PE exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chunhui Jiang

Reaction score
Hi,

I am major in petroleum engineering, and my highest degree is bachelor of science. I plan to take the petroleum PE exam, and I am looking for some material about the PE exam. However, I found that it is difficult to find the experience introduction about the petroleum PE exam on other website, such as google. Would you please give me some suggestions about the material that I should have, and the suggestions about preparing for PE petroleum exam?

How long is the general time that we need to prepare for the test( how many hours) in order that we could pass for the first time we take it?

Is the PE license important for a petroleum engineering?

Thanks for help!

The exam isn't even 2 years old yet, so I doubt there's going to be many books available, or comment on its worth either.

The exam isn't even 2 years old yet, so I doubt there's going to be many books available, or comment on its worth either.
What? There was a petroleum exam even back when I took the PE - back before electricity. :eek:ld-025:  

Or do you mean the exam topics were updated two years ago?

What? There was a petroleum exam even back when I took the PE - back before electricity. :eek:ld-025:  

Or do you mean the exam topics were updated two years ago?
Hmm. I got that from the NCEES website.  Maybe I read it wrong?  Checking now, I guess "update" could be exactly what they mean.  Sorry. Pay no attention to me. :( :oops:

The SPE has some review guides and a course, I think.  They also have their own certification that is international.

As to whether or not a PE license is important for petroleum engineers...Most petroleum engineers (in Texas) work under an industrial exemption.  See this link http://engineers.texas.gov/nm/EAOR34ResponseFinal52114.pdf

BUT, some work is getting harder to do without a PE, especially if you are a drilling engineer.

However, I think that given the cyclical nature of oil and gas industry, the wisest choice is to have a PE...It looks great on a resume, especially if you are trying to cross over into another industry (like environmental).

As to whether or not a PE license is important for petroleum engineers...Most petroleum engineers (in Texas) work under an industrial exemption.  See this link http://engineers.texas.gov/nm/EAOR34ResponseFinal52114.pdf

BUT, some work is getting harder to do without a PE, especially if you are a drilling engineer.

However, I think that given the cyclical nature of oil and gas industry, the wisest choice is to have a PE...It looks great on a resume, especially if you are trying to cross over into another industry (like environmental).
I totally agree with you.

The reason that I urge to pass the PE exam is that now it is the downturn for petroleum. Texas will post a new rule that engineers which is EIT in Texas can take the PE exam, without the 4 years experiences, which will implement after 05/01/2016, so I am plan to take the exam this year.

just because you can take the test without the experience doesn't mean you get the license right away.  and make sure if you ever plan on changing states if they will accept an exam passing prior to experience requirement.  

just because you can take the test without the experience doesn't mean you get the license right away.  and make sure if you ever plan on changing states if they will accept an exam passing prior to experience requirement.  
Yes, the change of the rules just change the time of taking exam, but not the time I could become a PE. However, I think it will be easier for me to pass the exam earlier than later. Thanks for the suggestions, and I will make sure about it !

Back