Code for 10/2007 CA seismic/survey exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teda

Reaction score
Friends, good evening.

I plan to take 10/2007 CA seismic/survey exam. I am wondering is building code will stay with CBC2001/UBC97. Anybody get idea? Thanks.

Yes, you are correct. The UBC97/CBC2001 is the code that will be recognized for the October 2007 exam. The April 2008 exam will recognize the 2007 CBC.

Yes, you are correct. The UBC97/CBC2001 is the code that will be recognized for the October 2007 exam. The April 2008 exam will recognize the 2007 CBC.
You are right. The information regarding the code for April 2008 exam is updated about a week ago on the board website.

So, in your opinions, is it worth it to get the Hiner study guide now, for the April 2008 exam? Or should I wait until he issues a new version based on the new code? (I mean wait for the October 2008 exam, or later)

You would have to look on Hiners site and see what version of study guide he is selling right now. But he is probably selling the one that will go with Oct. 2007 test. And then Hiner will have to sell a different one after the test is over, but before the April 2008 test. Just go to his website and see if it says anything.

ADDED 8/30/07 - 2001 CALIFORNIA BUILDING CODE TO BE USED ON OCTOBER 2007 SPECIAL CIVIL SEISMIC PRINCIPLES, CALIFORNIA STRUCTURAL ENGINEER SEISMIC, AND GEOTECHNCIAL ENGINEER EXAMINATIONS

The October 2007 Special Civil Seismic Principles Examination, California Structural Engineer Seismic Examination, and Geotechnical Engineer Examination will use the 2001 California Building Code (CBC), which is based on the 1997 Uniform Building Code (UBC). Beginning with the 2008 examinations, the 2007 CBC, which is based on the 2006 International Building Code (IBC), will be used.

board page

We must pass it on October;otherwise it will be almost completely new exam for next year......

ADDED 8/30/07 - 2001 CALIFORNIA BUILDING CODE TO BE USED ON OCTOBER 2007 SPECIAL CIVIL SEISMIC PRINCIPLES, CALIFORNIA STRUCTURAL ENGINEER SEISMIC, AND GEOTECHNCIAL ENGINEER EXAMINATIONSThe October 2007 Special Civil Seismic Principles Examination, California Structural Engineer Seismic Examination, and Geotechnical Engineer Examination will use the 2001 California Building Code (CBC), which is based on the 1997 Uniform Building Code (UBC). Beginning with the 2008 examinations, the 2007 CBC, which is based on the 2006 International Building Code (IBC), will be used.

board page

We must pass it on October;otherwise it will be almost completely new exam for next year......
Don't quite agree. Change in code does not mean change in everything. One just need to get familar with a new version of code.

I emailed Hiner, he said "I will be updating the book to the 2006 IBC/2007 CBC prior to the April 2008 exam. But it's way too early for me to know when that will be available for purchase since I haven't even started with the revisions yet. Best to check the website for updates in the next few months."

I emailed the Irvine Institute regarding the Chelapati book, they said "Not yet, by Spring Semester our book will be updated to reflect the changes from IBC 2007, provided it does get adopted by California. I would expect the new version to go to print no later than January of 08 provided all our ducks are in a row."

I ordered the 2006 IBC. I ordered the Cuomo surveying book. I'll be getting the above books when they're updated. Any other suggestions for the survey/seismic exams? I'm not in CA so I have to study by myself, so I'm getting more rather than fewer books.

Thanks!

^ Excellent news! I had given up on my plan to take the exam in April just because of the earlier post that Hiner might not be updating his book - I was counting on that to get me through it, as a non-structural kind of guy anyway. Maybe I'll take the exam now, if Hiner comes up with his revised version before January 1, when I will need to plunk down my $300 to take the test from the Marianas.

Just out of curiosity, how much do you folks in CA have to pay just to take the seismic and survey exams?

^ Excellent news! I had given up on my plan to take the exam in April just because of the earlier post that Hiner might not be updating his book - I was counting on that to get me through it, as a non-structural kind of guy anyway. Maybe I'll take the exam now, if Hiner comes up with his revised version before January 1, when I will need to plunk down my $300 to take the test from the Marianas.
Just out of curiosity, how much do you folks in CA have to pay just to take the seismic and survey exams?
One got to pay the same amount of $275 to take only one of the exam as that for all three exams.

Back