Eligibility

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

de_raabs

Reaction score
Hello

I have over a year of experience under a P.E. in water/wastewater engineering

Worked for a chemical industry for a year and half (not under P.E.)

Have a PhD

How much more experience do I need to be eligible to get my P.E. ? 

I live in NYS but am willing to take it in other states if it means a faster process. 

Thank you for helping me, Cheers

Google is a wonderful tool and easy to use.

Their web page blows, doesn't say anything about having a phd. Some states reduce the number of years down for masters and phd. Search around and see what you can find.

http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/pels/pelic.htm#educ
Ken

Thank you for your quick response.

Well- I knew most states offering reduced time to get the PE for M.S. and PhD degree holders. NYS makes no mention of this and wanted to check about the experience of other people. I would like a NYS PE but will go for other states if they offer a reduced work experience requirement. Any such states in the North East?

Thank you again

I believe MA offers a reduced work experience PE eligibility with an advanced degree.  I remember reading something about that when I took the exam in 2012, but I don't remember the details.

most states just give you the one year break ( 4 years to 3 years) whether you have a masters or a masters and a PHD (however it is different state to state) I do not know of states that will give you a 2 year reprieve from experience for having a PHD.

Illinois gives 1 yr for masters, 2 yrs for PhD, but if you were working during that time also, you don't get double credit.  

Another thing to consider if taking the PE in a "reduced experience" state is that getting it transferred back to your homestate in the future can be more difficult. It's not uncommon for people in Nevada (can take the exam after only 2 years experience) to have a very difficult time getting comity in adjacent states, especially California.  Some states won't even allow your license to transfer if you obtained it in a state with looser requirements.

hell I couldn't get a license in CA even if i wanted to...unless they have changed their rules recently.  they don't recognize the chemical test.  

I now know of 1 state that allows more than one year!  I bet that makes NCEES bread burn!

Google is a wonderful tool and easy to use.

Their web page blows, doesn't say anything about having a phd. Some states reduce the number of years down for masters and phd. Search around and see what you can find.

Ken

Well- I knew most states offering reduced time to get the PE for M.S. and PhD degree holders. NYS makes no mention of this and wanted to check about the experience of other people. I would like a NYS PE but will go for other states if they offer a reduced work experience requirement. Any such states in the North East?

Thank you again

I see Delaware does offer the 2 year reprieve for PhD, but is that transferable to NYS? If NYS allows- i will take the DE exam and transfer it ASAP

17 hours ago, Ken PE 3.0 said: Google is a wonderful tool and easy to use. Their web page blows, doesn't say anything about having a phd. Some states reduce the number of years down for masters and phd. Search around and see what you can find.

KenThank you for your quick response.

Thank you again

I see Delaware does offer the 2 year reprieve for PhD, but is that transferable to NYS? If NYS allows- i will take the DE exam and transfer it ASAP
I don't know. You'd have to talk to the state board.

Ken

Thank you again

the new york website does say it gives one year for graduate degree.  

Last edited by a moderator:
The NY eng rule/code also say they will give out of state tester licenses when they meet the qualifications for NY.  so if you take it early in another state you would have to wait until you had the required yrs by NY rules before they would review your application.  

at least that is what I take from what I read

Last edited by a moderator:
Back