How do you sign off your email?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Closing options

• Thank you

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Best

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sincerely

• Cheers

• Respectfully

• Regards

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • -(your name)

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Nothing

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

MetsFan

Reaction score
I usually go with "thank you" but it seems silly when there's nothing to thank them for, like when I send them a file they asked me for.  

Last edited by a moderator:
^ tis why I go with regards or best regards.  But then again, larger companies typically have a pre-defined email signature standard. ;)

This is a good question. I've seen:

Take care,

Best regards,

Kind regards,

Cheers,

"Sincerely" is too formal for most emails, but some of the others seem awkward. I'd like to hear what other people use.

Regards, followed with our company mandated signature at the bottom (name, company, division, phone, email, etc.)

Regards, followed by company formatted signature...I use two computers, my company and client company. Each email address has a specific signature format designated by the respective company.

Best regards,

etex

envirotex, PE, PG

address

phone

Thanks, thank you, regards, or if i am pissed, just my name (internal stuff)

Regards is incorporated into my automatic signature since I'm lazy and for Dex's reasoning. If I need to thank someone, which is often, I put it in the body of the email.

Regards,

Lumber Jim, P.E.

Title

Office #

Cell #

company logo (with link to Company website)

My Outlook at work is set up to sign everything with:

[COLOR= rgb(31, 73, 125)]v/r,[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(31, 73, 125)]Name, P.E.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(31, 73, 125)]Project Engineer[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(31, 73, 125)]VA Blah, Blah, Blah[/COLOR]

No phone numbers though...don't want to make it too easy for people to get ahold of me.

^^ There's a guy here that uses V/R here too.  It was the first time I'd seen it.

There are some people here that have "Regards," followed by signature too.  They must sometimes forget because from time to time I see:

Thanks,

Regards,

Name...

For those in the military, it's always (supposed to be!) "Respectfully," or "Very respectfully,", oftentimes abbreviated just R/, or V/r/,  And whoa to them who get it backwards.  But not me...  I don't play that!

Back