Learning the PU Method

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phatman492

Reaction score
Out of ALL the topics for this exam, I just cannot get the pu method down. I don't know why the concept is so abstract, but I hear it's supposed to be an easy way to solve for short circuit (fault) current.

I had little to no exposure to the pu method in college (which is now 10+ years ago), so I'm acting/feeling as if I never really learned it.  Is there anyone/anything that can help me learn and understand this to be able to solve test problems? 

Maybe there's a book or guide that is good enough to teach the fundamentals, possibly with an eye towards knowing how to use it when it comes to solving test problems? 

I learned the MVA method really easily, but I KNOW there will be several problems that you MUST use the pu method to solve the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I truly am desperate here. Thanks in advance.

W9TWJ, thank you so much. I have actually watched all of these videos from Complex Imaginary, but I will watch them again as I almost forgot they were there.  Maybe repetition is the key on this.  I am taking the exam in Houston in April.  I feel like there are so many things that can be asked that I'm not sure if my coverage of the exam is going to be good enough.  I will be taking the Test masters course also.  Maybe they can shed some light on the pu method also.

Ha, small world, I'll be taking the test at NRG in April too, and test masters starting tomorrow, see you there phatman

Back