Man part of Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knight1fox3

Jedi MASTER & Friend of Capt. Solo
Reaction score
http://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/madison-man-wins-right-to-wear-colander-in-id-photo

MADISON -- A Madison man has won the right to wear a spaghetti strainer on his head in his driver's license photo.

The Department of Transportation has instructed all DMV offices to recognize colanders as religious headwear after receiving a letter from the man's lawyer.

Derek Allen says his client is a Pastafarian and was denied his religious right as a member of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster , first established in 2005.

"If you just hear about it in passing it sounds silly - someone wants to wear a spaghetti strainer in their driver's license," Allen says. "It's easy to brush off as something silly but I think the principal behind it is an important one."

Wisconsin is not alone. Pastafarians in other states including Utah, Texas, and Massachusetts have all been allowed to wear colanders in their ID photos.
Madison_man_wins_right_to_wear_spaghetti_0_31963114_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

we known for years that idiots are not limited to just one state.  They live all over the place.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen some states modifying their standards to say that anything worn in the picture (i.e. headwear, glasses) be something that is normally worn and can contribute to a more positive identification.  If you only want to wear the colander for the DL pic, they can still prohibit it without infringing on your religious rights.

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend will be marrying two other friends as a minister in this particular church. 

This is because all involved are atheists and it's easy to get a license from other places. He doesn't have it in his driver license. 

A friend will be marrying two other friends as a minister in this particular church. 

This is because all involved are atheists and it's easy to get a license from other places. He doesn't have it in his driver license. 
We had our wedding at one of those all-inclusive wedding package outdoor places.  My wife is even more atheist than I am, if that's even possible.  She took the vows they gave us and crossed out any reference to "God" and made some minor tweaks here and there.  It came out pretty 'secularly' good.  :)

Back