PE Exam Application - Alabama

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geomane

Reaction score
I received my letter from the board today following their meeting on February 9th and 10th. The letter stated that my application was deferred and that they were only granting me 43 months of experience. I was surprised of this outcome.

I graduated college spring 2012, giving me 43 months of experience post graduation. I also interned for 7+ months prior to graduation. Per Alabama's experience requirements, up to 6 months of experience can be granted prior to graduation if 1) you worked a co-op program through the school, or 2) it took you 6 years or longer to receive your BS degree and you were working gaining engineering experience under a PE. The 2nd option applies to me; I was in college for 6 years and worked during my last year.

Has anyone else on here run into this sort of issue? I have a friend who graduated with me who's application was approved. Our applications were pretty much identical. Just a note, I know my PE references and experience verification forms have no negative language.

The only thing I can think of is that they overlooked the fact that I was in school for 6 years. This situation has me so aggravated right now.

Any thoughts or opinion are much appreciated.  

Also, the experience requirements are attached.

View attachment james.pdf

Is it too late to appeal? The NCEES registration deadline is on the 18th I believe and they tend to give you the states another week or so after the deadline to get their approved list in (that is if you register on NCEES before the deadline). If so, you'll probably have to wait until October. 

I'm not sure, I will have to check.

I did get in touch with the application administration though. She was telling me that since I entered school August 2006 and graduated May 2012, that is not 6 years. This to me is kind of ridiculous. Isn't a typical college year the fall and spring semesters? And, how would this apply to a 4 year ABET Engineering Degree? Would it actually be 4 full years, or 4 college years?

What do you all think?

Is it too late to appeal? The NCEES registration deadline is on the 18th I believe and they tend to give you the states another week or so after the deadline to get their approved list in (that is if you register on NCEES before the deadline). If so, you'll probably have to wait until October. 
IMHO, seems like it is more hassle than it's worth to try to appeal. Just take it in October.

They ended up granting me an additional 3 months, which left me 2 months short. Looks like I'll be taking the exam in October.

They ended up granting me an additional 3 months, which left me 2 months short. Looks like I'll be taking the exam in October.
Sorry to hear that, but at least you should have more time to prepare now. Don't take this time for granted. 

well i think have similar thing for Alabama board i got 9 years studying divided into two diploma certificate and one degree each with three so am asking  does the years thing count it or not ?

also it will be helpful if anyone write example for the experince record to let me know how to answer this section perfectly :)  

Back