Anyone taking the EET Courses?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superlaker24

Reaction score
Is anyone taking the EET Courses for Breadth, Depth, and Seismic?

I am currently taking it and wanted to see how it is going for everyone else?

I'm taking it for civil breadth and geotechnical depth.  I'm in the on-demand portion which works the best for me.  Class seems well structured and I believe the value is in the provided notes and the extra little tid bits that the instructors give during the lectures.  Everyone seems to talk about tons and tons of practice problems but I don't really see that. 

I failed the Oct '15 test with a 52/80 which I've been told was painfully close.  I do feel like if I'd had the EET notes and background the questions I missed could have easily been answered.  The vast majority of the stuff in EET I'm overly familiar with, but for someone who isn't very familiar with the concepts, it would be a big help. 

I decided to shell out the money and take the seismic course. I'm 4 chapters in and I've been pretty happy with it. I wish they had a web based question bank or something though, it would be a lot easier to be able to log into a browser at work during lunch, slam a couple of questions out of the way, and go on with the day. 

My class created a google group and emailed back and forth all day. This was super helpful, I suggest you do the same.

I am not taking it, but wondering how it goes for you?
The course is going well. The practice problems are challenging. The structural breadth questions seem to more depth level questions. The instructors are helpful.

I'm taking it for civil breadth and geotechnical depth.  I'm in the on-demand portion which works the best for me.  Class seems well structured and I believe the value is in the provided notes and the extra little tid bits that the instructors give during the lectures.  Everyone seems to talk about tons and tons of practice problems but I don't really see that. 

I failed the Oct '15 test with a 52/80 which I've been told was painfully close.  I do feel like if I'd had the EET notes and background the questions I missed could have easily been answered.  The vast majority of the stuff in EET I'm overly familiar with, but for someone who isn't very familiar with the concepts, it would be a big help. 
Do the homework problem compare similar to the actual exam questions? Some of the examples seem challenging.

EETs homework is way more challenging than the exam, that's the point.

I remember being blown away by the structural stuff, and struggling a bit with Geotech (my 2 worst subjects anyway), but I could've slept through these topics on the actual exam.

EETs homework is way more challenging than the exam, that's the point.

I remember being blown away by the structural stuff, and struggling a bit with Geotech (my 2 worst subjects anyway), but I could've slept through these topics on the actual exam.
I am just getting through the structural (breadth topic) now.  The structural instruction seems to be lacking compared to the rest of the material I've seen.  I feel like a lot of concepts of very lightly covered with little equations related to actual problems.  It's going to take a lot more studying on my own to bridge the gap.

I'm just a bit frustrated by the structural because it's my worst topic.  Seems like the other topics go into extreme detail, but not structural.  The homework problems (40+) use equations and concepts that were not covered at all in the lecture. 

Note.  I think the EET course if fantastic, and I don't want to seem like I'm bashing it or selling it short.  I'm just a bit frustrated by one topic.

The course is going well. The practice problems are challenging. The structural breadth questions seem to more depth level questions. The instructors are helpful.
Super, I am in the course right now. I agree with your statement about the structural breadth. Also losing a bit of motivation because I am unsure if my state board will let me sit for the exam for the spring. My work hours are right on the border so we will see.

How's your prep going?

Did you feel like the reinforced concrete and steel design was a little overkill for breadth?

Super, I am in the course right now. I agree with your statement about the structural breadth. Also losing a bit of motivation because I am unsure if my state board will let me sit for the exam for the spring. My work hours are right on the border so we will see.

How's your prep going?
I am a bit overwhelmed. I am planning to take all three exams and I am having a difficult time trying to manage studying for each test. Seismic takes alot of time and the EET course helps. The surveying is difficult to work on since most of my work is self-study. The 8 hours is alot of information. I think the EET course is good, but some of the homework is hard. The lectures are long and the frustrating part is some students ask questions that are not on the particular topic being cover, this ruins the flow of the class. I think the structural breadth was more covering the structural depth. I am planning to take the structural depth and most of the problems seemed like depth problems. The practice problems were more challenging than the quiz.

I have heard so much great things about EET than I am hoping using the course will help.

How do you like the course? How is the studying?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a bit overwhelmed. I am planning to take all three exams and I am having a difficult time trying to manage studying for each test. Seismic takes alot of time and the EET course helps. The surveying is difficult to work on since most of my work is self-study. The 8 hours is alot of information. I think the EET course is good, but some of the homework is hard. The lectures are long and the frustrating part is some students ask questions that are not on the particular topic being cover, this ruins the flow of the class. I think the structural breadth was more covering the structural depth. I am planning to take the structural depth and most of the problems seemed like depth problems. The practice problems were more challenging than the quiz.

I have heard so much great things about EET than I am hoping using the course will help.

How do you like the course? How is the studying?
Studying for 2 other tests on top of everything does sound overwhelming.

I am enjoying studying with EET. I like the organization and it forces me to follow a schedule. I just got the word that I was approved to take the exam but I am seriously contemplating on taking the exam during the fall of 2016. I am going to be missing a significant prep time here in the next few weeks. I am tempted to just take the test to get a feel for it and maybe even luckily pass but at the same time that seems like a waste of money and time.

Hope you get your stuff figured out.

Regarding the structural breadth in EET .... do yourself a favor and ask the question that we asked of Dr Malek ..... "I'm completely lost in structural, what are the 3-4 things I should absolutely know and what can I blow off and guess on if need be?"

He will tell you, and he was right. I think I got all 7-8 structural problems right. They cam right out of his notes, and one right from another book I had.

Put this attachment in your binder. It helped me a great deal getting ready for structural.

View attachment DA6-BeamFormulas.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the structural breadth in EET .... do yourself and ask the question that we asked of Dr Malek ..... "I'm completely lost in structural, what are the 3-4 things I should absolutely know and what can I blow off and guess on if need be?"

He will tell you, and he was right. I think I got all 7-8 structural problems right. They cam right out of his notes, and one right from another book I had.

Put this attachment in your binder. It helped me a great deal getting ready for structural.

View attachment 7788
Thanks for the good advice and the Shear/Moment Diagram chart.

Back