Help with Depth choice!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDavis

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my name is Travis... I found out yesterday I am eligible to sit for the PE exam in April.  I work as a civil doing forcemain design, gravity design and site plans.  I typically see these projects through construction... but I am wondering if I should go Water Resources or Construction?  How in depth does the construction afternoon session go?  I appreciate any information/guidance you all can provide me!

TD

Have you looked at ncees.org for the exam specs? That might help you decide.

Based on how you describe your work, the construction might be the better depth. The water depth goes into water and wastewater treatment, water quality, etc. Wastewater might be difficult to just pick up.

I would be lost with water and wastewater treatment or aquifers.    However, looking at the exam specs (thanks for the idea!)... I can't say I know much about weld and bolt installation or shoring and reshoring etc... Cost estimating, sure no prob.  I do that with all my improvement projects, crane stability... never done it before, but it sounds like a statics problem.  

I think I am going to sit down tonight and give the specs a thorough look and see out of the 2, which one I feel like I can cover the knowledge areas better.  Because right now I am not sure which way I want to go and I have 9 days to figure it out!!!!   :blink:

Take your time. And remember, there isn't an "easy" depth. You choose what works best for you.

You might also be able to get practice ncees exams for both depths and see which one you do better with. But 9 days might not leave you with the time for that.

I took another long hard look at the specs, dug up some sample questions for each and slept on it.  Woke up this morning with my gut telling me WRE.  

If that's the case, and the timing works out for you, I would recommend taking a review class. EET's WRE depth class was outstanding.

If that's the case, and the timing works out for you, I would recommend taking a review class. EET's WRE depth class was outstanding.
I second this.  If you go with the EET WRE depth study plan you are in excellent hands!  Good luck!

Back