"Shitty" Job?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradlelf

Licensed Professional Engineer
Reaction score
Whenever you think your job is shitty … just remember this guy:

Poo Diver

1402407_442661545835010_189112161_o__medium.jpg

I've used that slide in training presentations for new wastewater operators, to scare them (but we never had to actually do that!)

I don't care how much money that guy makes - it's not enough.  

I don't care how much money that guy makes - it's not enough.  
What about those nuke divers?  Having to retrieve an object from the spent fuel pool and such.  I heard they get paid between 60 and $75k just setting foot in that water.

Nowhere close.  Offshore guys tend to make more.  The dose you get under water isn't bad compared to some of the hot work.  Borated water is a heck of a shield...

I wasn't a fan of full dress-out radiation gear while trying to work inside an electrical panel with 14AWG wire and TWO sets of gloves in the reactor room with temps upwards of 90 deg F.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't a fan of full dress-out radiation gear while trying to work inside an electrical panel with 14AWG wire and TWO sets of gloves in the reactor room with temps upwards of 90 deg F.
Been there and done that.  What a PITA.

Last edited by a moderator:
If were swapping stories... When i was in the army at Chem School we had to detox a jeep with a live VX nerve agent on it... Wasnt a lot of fun and it defin was not in the brochure!

When I was with USACE working around the locks and dams, they sent me down to Key West for a week for dive inspector their training class.  The instructors made a point...several times...to emphasize that Key West is ideal conditions.  Chances were much better that dives would be in something foul with little to no visibility, i.e. poo, giant silos of chicken guts, the Ohio River.

Way back when I was a co-op we had to take a HAZMAT training course to work in the Construction Offices.  Had to get dressed up in the full suit.  The course was done at the University of North Florida.  I asked if we could go busting into one of the biology/chemistry classes and yell' "NOBODY PANIC".  The instructors didn't think that'd be a good idea.

Back