CA Refile Application Question

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnreed

Reaction score
I'm filling out my refile app for CA civil - seismic, and I have a question about Section 3 (Background/Discipline).  Question 1 asks, "Have you ever been convicted of or plead guilty or nolo contendere [“no contest”] to ANY offense in the United States or a foreign country? This includes every citation, infraction, misdemeanor, and/or felony...."

So, about 6 years ago I got a ticket for going 60 in a 55.  Out of state, I responded "nolo contendere," and sent a check for the citation.  Does the California Board really care about traffic violations/citations?  or did they simply forget to say "criminal offense"?  I have read through the FAQ on fingerprints, sent an email to their fingerprint question line, called the phone number.  Still no answer.  On the FAQ everything referenced criminal offenses... so I'm leaning towards thinking it was just accidentally omitted on the application? 

Anyway, Thought you guys might be able to help...  I just need an answer to this simple question to get the refile in the mail.   

Thanks!

Holy smokes, they want me to declare a 6 year old traffic violation.   Isn't it a bit ridiculous that they want certified court documents for a 6 year old traffic violation, but they say explicitly do NOT report convictions for marijuana possession older than 2 years?    

the email response from the fingerprinting department that I just recieved:

"I apologize for the delayed response. Yes, you will still need to disclose and provide certified court documents for your traffic citation that you had pleaded nolo contendere to. Thank you for double checking as this will save extra processing time in the future."

I guess just select 'Yes' and provide copies of the documents and an explanation.  You'd probably be okay to select 'No' but you might not want to risk delaying your application.  Your defense for your 'No' could be that it is your understanding that traffic infractions fall off your criminal and DMV record after three years. 

In CA, a speeding violation is an infraction (not a citation) and is actually considered a 'criminal' violation. 

According to the refile application's wording, even a parking ticket (citation) would need to be disclosed!

http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/refile_ce.pdf

Back