Certified Construction Manager (CCM)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYCProjectEngineer PE PMP

Out in the Field
Reaction score
Anybody have experience or exposure to the CCM cert? I see job postings requiring either PE, RA or CCM for a Project Manager type role. It bothers me that they seemingly value a license the same as a certification but I guess you really don't need a license to run a construction project. 

The certified this and certified that is really getting out of hand isn't it.

Didn't answer your questions though, did I?

I don't disagree. The fact is no one would get a cert if they didn't feel like they need to get someone to validate the skills they already posses. If people felt their skills would get recognized otherwise, they wouldn't be interested. HR/Management within big companies really drive the demand. These days, every job description and experience level needs to fit into a bullet-ed list. HR departments want to spend seconds (if that) looking at a resume. Unless they can mash up bullets on a resume with bullets on a job description in a couple quick glances, resumes end up in the "tall pile." Certs provide HR a solution to the problem, require a cert, then its easy to look for the cert rather than the experience.

When I was looking at jobs a while back I hated seeing: Requires "PE, PMP, MBA, CPA, or other similar certification" in the job description.

When it comes to review time it also gives you something to put down as a measurable goal. For example saying I plan to learn more about automation/control systems is considered to vague. Saying I'm going to take a class and obtain ISA's Certified Automation Professional cert is looked on as having a goal. 

Last edited by a moderator:
For the sake of management, a PE isn't really worth much unless it's a technical manager position.  This is why they seemingly value a PE, PMP, or a CCM the same.

Interesting take on the HR aspect. I think this is also driven by Owner/Client requirements. I believe some clients (like State DOT) require the Contractor's PM to be a P.E. while some Owners want to have a PM who has a CCM. This flows down to the job listings.

In reality, the P.E. only has value if you are signing/sealing documents or manage design engineers. Otherwise, it is a burden for employers to pay the license renewal fees. At least the PMP and CCM show you have experience managing projects and know proper processes for project management. 

Interesting take on the HR aspect. I think this is also driven by Owner/Client requirements. I believe some clients (like State DOT) require the Contractor's PM to be a P.E. while some Owners want to have a PM who has a CCM. This flows down to the job listings.

In reality, the P.E. only has value if you are signing/sealing documents or manage design engineers. Otherwise, it is a burden for employers to pay the license renewal fees. At least the PMP and CCM show you have experience managing projects and know proper processes for project management. 
The burden to maintain PDHs and fees for a PE license are nothing compared to the PMP. ****, it takes a project manager to track everything required for the PMP.

For example, just to take the PMP, I had to spend twice the money and only got half the test for it (only 4 hours). 

The DOT or DoD thing requiring PMPs is the same problem. Rather than look at a person's resume to determine if they fit as a project manager they have elected to use a third party to verify engineering experience. To some extent the institutional problems for governments are even worse than HR because they have to objectively make clear why someone isn't qualified. Requiring a specific certification is an easy way to determine who is qualified and who is not. (Though arguably not the most effective)

I agree. It's such an unknown cert yet I have been seeing it as a job requirement more and more. 

I saw this as someone's status on LinkedIn and LOL'd:

""I love the end of the year because it's the best time to reflect on how closely I achieved my goals. One for 2016: Take (and crush) the Certified Meeting Professional exam!""

What could this "exam" possibly entail? How to make a guest list? How to pick a time? How to send an Outlook invite??

""I love the end of the year because it's the best time to reflect on how closely I achieved my goals. One for 2016: Take (and crush) the Certified Meeting Professional exam!""

What could this "exam" possibly entail? How to make a guest list? How to pick a time? How to send an Outlook invite??
The art of not paying attention?

Seems a ligit certification to have. I waste more time in meetings than anywhere else.  I could send a certified meeting professional in my place.   Brilliant!

I thought this was a joke, but apparently it's a thing. http://www.conventionindustry.org/CMP/AboutCMP.aspx

The Convention Industry Council (CIC) launched the Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) program in 1985 to

• enhance the knowledge and performance of meeting professionals,
  • promote the status and credibility of the meeting profession, and
  • advance uniform standards of practice.

I thought this was a joke, but apparently it's a thing. http://www.conventionindustry.org/CMP/AboutCMP.aspx

The Convention Industry Council (CIC) launched the Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) program in 1985 to

• enhance the knowledge and performance of meeting professionals,
  • promote the status and credibility of the meeting profession, and
  • advance uniform standards of practice.
Did you really think I would fabricate such an important topic?

This is serious business, son.

Sincerely,

John QPE, CMP

hold-a-meeting.gif

I took and passed the Certified Construction Manager Exam earlier today.

Eligibility: To be eligible to take the exam you must have 4 years of “Responsible in Charge” Experience; which translates to supervision, decision-making authority, and delivery of CM services (there is a matrix that you have to fill out during the application process to verify this experience).  In addition to this experience you must have:

1.     4 year construction related degree or

2.     2 year degree with 4 years additional construction experience or

3.     8 years construction experience

Application:  Process was pretty straight forward. 

1.     Entered your name, address, current employer, etc. on the online application.

2.     Uploaded your resume

3.     Uploaded your transcript

4.     Completed a “Responsible in Charge Matrix” with two references to vouch for this experience.

5.  Paid Fee

(Note:  The two references are emailed for their verification of your experience, so the request will most likely get lost in their spam folder.  There is an option for the references to send back their verification via USPS.  I mailed my two references the form with a stamped pre-addressed envelope so all they had to do was execute the form and drop it back in the mail).

Application Cost: $425/$325 CMAA members

Note: you may have to email/call CMCI "Construction Management Certification Institute" /CMAA "Construction Management Association of America" .  After not hearing back from them for some time, I contacted CMCI and asked about my references and application.  They said had received my reference verifications and they will further process my application.  I got an email later that day saying I was approved to sit for the exam and they scheduled my exam time, which I scheduled for two weeks later.

Exam Cost: $275

Exam preparation:  They give three options if you want to prepare for the exam through CMAA:

Option 1:  Attend a three day on site Training course ($1,225/$1,025 CMAA members) – This includes the published “Study Kit”

Option 2:  On Demand Video - 18 hours: ($1,099/$699 CMAA members)

Option 3:  Study Kit ($550/$275 CMAA members)

I chose the study kit, which are the CMAA publications on Project Management, Time Management, Cost Management, etc.  I spent about two weeks reading these study kit publications.  I also bought a sample test from Amazon for $30.00 just to get some exam type questions.

Exam: The exam is 200 questions with only 175 questions being graded.   Passing score is around 65% or 114 questions answered correctly.  You have 5 hours to take the test.

I spent about 2 ½ hours taking the test and another hour reading through the questions again.  My score was 77.7% or 136 questions answered correctly.

Note:  As soon as you submit the test you get your results back.  They give you your exact breakdown by category (Project Management, Cost Management, Time Management, Contract Administration, Quality, Safety, Professional Practice) but you cannot write it down and they don’t give you a print out at the testing center.  You get an email, but they only give you your passing score.  Note:  CMAA states the passing rate is around 83%.

You need to re-certify by obtaining 25 points during a 3-year cycle, but PE PDH’s count, so no additional Continuing Educations is required as long as you keep your PE license current.  Note: It costs $200 to re-certify every three years.

Overall I spent $1,280 (paid for by my company), 2 weeks studying (basically reading publications), and 4.5 hours for the test (left my office at 9:30 am and was back by 2:00 pm).

Hi,

I am taking the CCM test tomorrow and I have a couple questions for you.  Do you know the link to the practice test you did and was it online?  All of the ones I am finding are books that can be delivered to the house, which won't help me too much unless I fail and have to retake the test.  Also, are the questions broken out by category (ie Project management, time management, etc) or are they all mixed together? Also, do they ask the questions like "pick 3 out of the 6 answers" or is it mainly multiple choice with just one answer?

Thanks,

Emily

Emily,

1.  The sample test was a paper test, and it was not that great.  I would not sweat it if you don't have a sample test.

2.  From what I can remember the questions are grouped together, but may be spread out.  For instance, scheduling questions may be arranged as question no. 25 to 35 then 55 to 65. 

3.  The questions are all multiple choice questions with one answer. None of them were "pick 3 of the 6 most correct responses.

Good luck.  The exam is not overly difficult, but you do have to know the material.  Post back if you have anymore questions and how you did on the exam. 

Rugger,

When you say you spent 2 weeks studying the publications, did you study only the two primary publications

• CMAA's "CM Standards of Practice"
  • CII's Best Practice's Guide "Improving Project Performance IR 166-3"
Or did you study everything in the study kit?

The following materials are included in the study kit:

If you studied the entire study kit was it necessary or would the two primary publications have been enough?

Rugger,

When you say you spent 2 weeks studying the publications, did you study only the two primary publications

• CMAA's "CM Standards of Practice"
  • CII's Best Practice's Guide "Improving Project Performance IR 166-3"
Or did you study everything in the study kit?

The following materials are included in the study kit:

If you studied the entire study kit was it necessary or would the two primary publications have been enough?
I read the entire study kit, but the CM Standards of Practice pretty much covered all of the other CMAA references, with the individual references possibly going into slightly more detail.  The CII's Best Practices Guide: Improving Project Performance covers  different material, so you will need that publication.

If you know those two publications inside and out you should be able to pass the test.   With a passing score of 65% and a passing rate of 83%, the exam is not overtly difficult if you prepare for it and have a general construction management knowledge base. 

In the 2 weeks I spent studying, I averaged reading one publication a day around the Christmas Holiday for two weeks.  Our office was open, but only a handful of people were there and it was easy find a corner and read the publications.

Back