Mechanical exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denver1000 PE

Reaction score
Post here whether you passed or did not this time. There were only a handful of us active on the boards pre-exam... let's catch up on how the exam turned out! 

I passed the Mechanical Thermal / Fluids exam in KY...1st time taker. I guessed on probably 5 or 6 problems in each session with a few of those being paired down to 2 answers.

Passed thermal/fluids second attempt. 8 years out of school. First time I only used crane, cameron, merm, and ncees practice test. Studied maybe 80 hours and scored 41/80. Second attempt (passed) added merm practice problem booklet to the mix and concentrated on low scoring areas. Started studying middle of August, made my own typed notes referencing every formula and page number I used on practice problems. Studied around 150 hours this time and passed. Did not study at all beginning 3 days prior to exam. Used TI-30x calculator. I like the screen better on this calc versus my 36 solar. Screen on solar seemed too faint. Wore ear plugs and chewed 4 packs of Mentos during the exam.

Wore ear plugs and chewed 4 packs of Mentos during the exam.
CONFIRMED: Mentos can help you solve any problem.

CC9mtRVVAAApSNE.jpg

Pass (TX) - ME (MD) Score=84 --- First attempt --- 12 years out of college and passed FE exactly 10 years back...Studied for last one month and in that used a little over a week of vacation...took DTC review online course and I would give maximum credit to it and to the notes that I prepared during that course...I joined this board after the exam and there were a few guys who took Mechanical PE were active at that time...can't see them in any of the discussions...hope they all passed...

@denver1000, thanks for starting this post, so that future test takes can contact us if they have any questions and probably we can also help each other for any future opportunities...basically sort of professional networking with a specific group of ppl with same/similar credentials...any thoughts on that?

@denver1000, thanks forstarting this post, so that future test takes can contact us if they have any questions and probably we can also help each other for any future opportunities...basically sort of professional networking with a specific group of ppl with same/similar credentials...any thoughts on that?
Yeah that sounds like a great idea.

actually let me start with this question, does anyone here work in Nuclear Energy industry?

The only people I know in nuclear came out of the navy. I'm in O&G right now, but it's getting hammered. I've got some good options, namely returning to the Antarctic program. 

I am in mining and construction equipment manufacturing industry in FEA/Stress Analysis world. I am interested in knowing more about nuclear energy becoz I think with growing global energy demand and it being a cleaner energy source that industry has a more reliable and stable future prospects. So I was wondering what someone who is actually working in that industry thinks. O&G is also good but as you said it is not doing that well right now. The only reason I opted for a PE license is to increase my chances to get an opportunity in other industries and O&G was at the top of my list but unfortunately that door seems closed for now :(  

Back