Changing Discipline for 2nd Attempt?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffHubbard

Reaction score
Did any of you repeat takers out there ever change your discipline for the 2nd time? I found out that I just failed the ME T&F Systems. This is my first time taking the PE. I was not really keen on this discipline, but it seemed like the lesser of the evils based on the passing scores from the previous year. I was more keen on taking the MD discipline, but I did not get a chance to do any of the MD practice problems before I registered. I am trying to decide what to take for the April exam. Should I take the T&F systems again, even though I really don't care for the material, or should I start fresh and take the MD? Any positive inputs would be appreciated because I really feel like crawling in a corner and dying right now.

Thanks

How close were you to passing? What sections were you weak on, etc? I'm terrified waiting, and I took the same test. I've thought a lot about switching if I fail so I'll be following till I find out, maybe after. 

I was really not close to passing at all and I studied for a very long time. I passed the FE the first time, but I was fresh out of school. I am a Manufacturing Engineer that works more as a Machine Designer right now. MD would have been a better path, but there are some sections in that discipline that I am not too keen on either, nor do I use at all in my current job. I don't need my PE for my current job. I was just taking it for my personal satisfaction. I just don't know if it's better to stick with the same discipline or go another route.

" ...I was not really keen on this discipline, but it seemed like the lesser of the evils based on the passing scores from the previous year."
I wouldn't recommend ever basing your choice of exam on past test statistics. You need to worry about knowledge and understanding of the subject matter in order to succeed. The only number that matters is the number of questions that you can answer correctly. So choose your discipline based on topics that you have the most practical understanding and work-related experience. Just be honest with yourself.

I took the MD test. I work as a project engineer and haven't done detailed design for about 3 years but I did a lot in my previous jobs so I still gravitated towards the MD test. My advice is choose the topic you feel the most comfortable with! You will have to spend time going into the finer details of MD if you choose to take it the next time. PM me if you want to know more about my study routine when you decide... enjoy the holiday season now... worry about this in January. 

I took the Thermal and Fluids test, and I think if I had to do it over, I would still take it, as that was the easiest portion of the test for me.  I don't think you're going to be hurt much by switching, but I know I wouldn't switch, were it me.

I will agree with Audi driver, PE... Although i work in HVAC industry, I took Thermal & Fluids in April 2015 (First Time) and failed. Got 44/80. I sticked to Thermal & Fluids, as i feel that i am comfortable with it and passed this time (October 2015). Good Luck!..

I was really not close to passing at all and I studied for a very long time. I passed the FE the first time, but I was fresh out of school. I am a Manufacturing Engineer that works more as a Machine Designer right now. MD would have been a better path, but there are some sections in that discipline that I am not too keen on either, nor do I use at all in my current job. I don't need my PE for my current job. I was just taking it for my personal satisfaction. I just don't know if it's better to stick with the same discipline or go another route.
Since you work in manufacturing, and you seem to like MD, take it. There is always a few areas in a particular discipline you will never practice or like. Focus on those weak areas while you prepare next round. I am a CE guy though. The bottom line, stay with your core where you have the highest strength. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back