closed book 2020

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, but I have heard that the testing sites don't want to be responsible for checking reference material.

Dude seriously? Who on the forumn waiting for 2015 results cares about 2020 exams now?

Are you talking about me?
I hope not!  I'm sure by 2020 you'll be a grizzled veteran PE telling stories of the glory days when it took 8-10 weeks to find out if you passed rather than the young whippersnappers who get instantaneous results from the NCEEStron 9000 computer that administers the test in the future.

I hope not!  I'm sure by 2020 you'll be a grizzled veteran PE telling stories of the glory days when it took 8-10 weeks to find out if you passed rather than the young whippersnappers who get instantaneous results from the NCEEStron 9000 computer that administers the test in the future.
HEY!!!  Some of us resemble that remark!   :p

The 2020 exam offering is closer to today then the day that I took the exam. :(

If it did go closed book, they would have to simplify the test in a BIG way.

It can't really be closed book.  For the Civil Structural test, there are way too many codes that we need to bring in with us.

They can provide some reference materials with formulae like they do for the FE tests. Another part of the professional world, medical doctors take multiple 8 hrs closed book exams with no reference book. If they can simulate real life in their field, it would not be hard for engineers to do the same. 

They can provide some reference materials with formulae like they do for the FE tests. Another part of the professional world, medical doctors take multiple 8 hrs closed book exams with no reference book. If they can simulate real life in their field, it would not be hard for engineers to do the same. 
I think its a bit different.  First off, if you look at just the AASHTO LRFD code, it's extremely thick.  Every page has a code, or explanation or something.  Even if you could remember that code, then you still have to remember the AISC, ASCE, PCI, TMS, NDS, IBC, OSHA...  So it would have to be extremely simple with just generic questions.  They wouldn't be able to ask code questions, which then what's the point of having an exam?  The codes are a very important part of design, and you need to understand them.

a lot will depend on how well they can create a reference manual.  Then the test will have be adjusted accordingly.  With all the different tests this is no small task.  

Another part of the professional world, medical doctors take multiple 8 hrs closed book exams with no reference book.
One of their tests (Step 2 Boards) requires them to actually examine 12 "model patients" (actors trained to exhibit the symptoms of a diagnosis) in a set time period, write the history and physical, say what labs they'd order, and diagnose the patient.  And they don't get to use the usual reference materials they carry around in their pockets.

All that happens on camera, and then the model patients evaluate their bedside manner.

So, yeah, their test actually does simulate the real world.

They could provide excerpts from various codes, or the entire thing, on the computer based reference manuals.  They couldn't do away with the code questions all together - the associations that produce them would lose hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost revenue from worried PE examinees who would no longer need to buy.

2 minutes ago, Sooner100 said: Another part of the professional world, medical doctors take multiple 8 hrs closed book exams with no reference book.
One of their tests (Step 2 Boards) requires them to actually examine 12 "model patients" (actors trained to exhibit the symptoms of a diagnosis) in a set time period, write the history and physical, say what labs they'd order, and diagnose the patient.  And they don't get to use the usual reference materials they carry around in their pockets.All that happens on camera, and then the model patients evaluate their bedside manner.

So, yeah, their test actually does simulate the real world.
Well, if the PE test modeled real life it would be drastically different.

1st they'd give you a problem, then you would have to call three different vendors to see if they can supply the items in a timely fashion. Don't forget the 16 different meetings needed to discuss the progress of the question. Then, 42 bullshit emails later, you ask for an extension because it is an unanswerable question.

Back