Question about taking exam/get license in a state other than the one I am working in.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Chen

Reaction score
Hi engineers,

New to here. Finally find the party.

I am trying to get everything correct and clear before I take my first step, which is to determine which state to register in.

As we all know the exams are same from state to state while the experience requirements are quite different.

So here's my situation.

I am working in Illinois, with a MS degree from US and a BS degree from China. I surely need a credential evaluation before PE exam. Illinois board requires Non-ABET do the credential evaluation before sitting in FE exam. Moreover, Illinois PE needs 8 years experience after graduate(Please let me know I am not correct). However, the work visa I hold can only allows me to work in the States for maximum 6 years. Which means, if I register in Illinois, I need to spend more than $400 to get an EIT and still not sure if I able to get a PE in 6 years before my current visa expires.

This makes me thinking about to get a EIT register in other states, like CA, do the credential evaluation after couple years before I take FE exam. If things go well, I can have a PE within 6 years, hopefully. In this case, even if I go back to China after 6yr, at least I have a certificate in CA, not like get a EIT in Illinois and still cumulating working experience for PE. Right?

Please advice if there's some issue I didn't see. Any problem if CA EIT working in IL?

Thanks guys.

it doesn't matter testing vs experience order in IL. you can take the test and if you pass you just wait until you have required experience to get the license. The experience is 4 yrs for the PE with a an ABET degree(thats where the other 4 are). not sure on the non abet foreign stuff though. best call the IL board and ask your questions directly

it doesn't matter testing vs experience order in IL. you can take the test and if you pass you just wait until you have required experience to get the license. The experience is 4 yrs for the PE with a an ABET degree(thats where the other 4 are). not sure on the non abet foreign stuff though. best call the IL board and ask your questions directly

Seems to be 8 years.

http://boards.ncees.org/view/index/board-1016-illinois_pe/2/

I can't believe it. 8 years. But, yes, i will call them. Will my experience in IL counts for CA PE?

Experience counts anywhere in the county as long as it meets that State's requirements. Generally that means that you worked under the responsible charge of a licensed PE and in some cases can be verified by that supervisor.

In Illionois, I thought you could take the PE before your years of experience then they would issue a license once you hit 4 years. I don't know how an ABET/non-ABET degree plays in here. This is a question for the board. I'm pretty sure you need 6 years of experience in CA, they give you 4 years credit for an ABET degree (which is somewhat unique). You might be better off going to a neighboring state. Missouri might be an option, 4 years of experience, your physical location does not matter (Illinois, China, etc.) But Missouri you have to submit a letter of explanation if you live out of state and want to get your first license there. You should call the applicable state boards and talk to them to get the most up to date and accurate information.

In Illionois, I thought you could take the PE before your years of experience then they would issue a license once you hit 4 years. I don't know how an ABET/non-ABET degree plays in here. This is a question for the board. I'm pretty sure you need 6 years of experience in CA, they give you 4 years credit for an ABET degree (which is somewhat unique). You might be better off going to a neighboring state. Missouri might be an option, 4 years of experience, your physical location does not matter (Illinois, China, etc.) But Missouri you have to submit a letter of explanation if you live out of state and want to get your first license there. You should call the applicable state boards and talk to them to get the most up to date and accurate information.
Cupojoe,

Illinois does allow me to take exam while cumulating experience, but I have to do a credential evaluation before I sit in the FE exam. That is what I am trying to avoid doing it this early, kinda of prefer doing it when I have to, right before PE application.

And CA board replied my long email with only this link . LOL. With my Master degree, I guess I only need 12months experience? That will be cool.

You are right. Neighbor state might be better than west coast. I was dreaming, someday our start-up can grow and reach its branch to CA.

Thank you!

Experience counts anywhere in the county as long as it meets that State's requirements. Generally that means that you worked under the responsible charge of a licensed PE and in some cases can be verified by that supervisor.

Joe,

Yes, thats another question I need to ask Board. I am doing engineering related job, but my boss is working on PE right now. I am not sure if this experience counts. BTW, hope she can pass, I know she spent a lot time on preparing that.

Thanks for the reply.

Cupojoe,

Illinois does allow me to take exam while cumulating experience, but I have to do a credential evaluation before I sit in the FE exam. That is what I am trying to avoid doing it this early, kinda of prefer doing it when I have to, right before PE application.

And CA board replied my long email with only this link . LOL. With my Master degree, I guess I only need 12months experience? That will be cool.

You are right. Neighbor state might be better than west coast. I was dreaming, someday our start-up can grow and reach its branch to CA.

Thank you!

Joe,

Yes, thats another question I need to ask Board. I am doing engineering related job, but my boss is working on PE right now. I am not sure if this experience counts. BTW, hope she can pass, I know she spent a lot time on preparing that.

Thanks for the reply.

Why do you want to wait to have your evaluation done? I'm not real familiar with the process, but I know several folks who have foreign degrees (India & Latin America) that are not ABET who end up having to take classes to get the ABET equivalent mark. The required classes are mostly humanities (social sciences, language, etc.) NOT engineering classes. I would think you would want to find that out as early in the process as possible so you can start taking classes at the community college, if required.

Also, sometimes people get confused by this, you don't need 4 years between FE and PE. You can usually take those back to back if you already have adequate experience.

Cupojoe,

Thank you!

Joe,

Thanks for the reply.

Why do you want to wait to have your evaluation done? I'm not real familiar with the process, but I know several folks who have foreign degrees (India & Latin America) that are not ABET who end up having to take classes to get the ABET equivalent mark. The required classes are mostly humanities (social sciences, language, etc.) NOT engineering classes. I would think you would want to find that out as early in the process as possible so you can start taking classes at the community college, if required.

Also, sometimes people get confused by this, you don't need 4 years between FE and PE. You can usually take those back to back if you already have adequate experience.

Credential evaluation is required by all states for applicants with None-ABET to sit in a PE exam. NCEES will evaluate all the courses took in foreign BS and advice to study extra courses they need to pass the evaluation and then take exam. That is why some of your folks have to take classes so that they can take PE exam.

It is confusing especially they listed steps as take fe, experience, take pe.

Hi engineers,

New to here. Finally find the party.

I am trying to get everything correct and clear before I take my first step, which is to determine which state to register in.

As we all know the exams are same from state to state while the experience requirements are quite different.

So here's my situation.

I am working in Illinois, with a MS degree from US and a BS degree from China. I surely need a credential evaluation before PE exam. Illinois board requires Non-ABET do the credential evaluation before sitting in FE exam. Moreover, Illinois PE needs 8 years experience after graduate(Please let me know I am not correct). However, the work visa I hold can only allows me to work in the States for maximum 6 years. Which means, if I register in Illinois, I need to spend more than $400 to get an EIT and still not sure if I able to get a PE in 6 years before my current visa expires.

This makes me thinking about to get a EIT register in other states, like CA, do the credential evaluation after couple years before I take FE exam. If things go well, I can have a PE within 6 years, hopefully. In this case, even if I go back to China after 6yr, at least I have a certificate in CA, not like get a EIT in Illinois and still cumulating working experience for PE. Right?

Please advice if there's some issue I didn't see. Any problem if CA EIT working in IL?

Thanks guys.
Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I don't think it matters which state you take your FE in. It doesn't have to be CA, even if your goal is to get a CA PE.

Get the FE and PE both in Texas. Texas needs 4 years with Master with all the evaluated transcripts. I think only 3 if you have a masters. You may be able to get your PE before your H1 runs out of renewals.

Joe,

Thanks for the reply.

That may be an issue depending on where you apply for licensure. California for example, has the following requirement in their application:

For California work, each engagement claimed as qualifying experience MUST have a reference from a licensed California Professional Engineer in responsible charge licensed in the discipline for which you are applying, unless exempt from licensure. For work out of state or country, references must be from a person in responsible charge legally authorized to practice engineering in the state or country where the projects are located during the period of the engagement.

Cupojoe,

Thank you!

Joe,

Thanks for the reply.

Credential evaluation is required by all states for applicants with None-ABET to sit in a PE exam. NCEES will evaluate all the courses took in foreign BS and advice to study extra courses they need to pass the evaluation and then take exam. That is why some of your folks have to take classes so that they can take PE exam.

It is confusing especially they listed steps as take fe, experience, take pe.

I get that, but you said: "Illinois does allow me to take exam while cumulating experience, but I have to do a credential evaluation before I sit in the FE exam. That is what I am trying to avoid doing it this early, kinda of prefer doing it when I have to, right before PE application."

Why wouldn't you just have the evaluation done now so you can start taking the additional required classes?

Back