Stopping a Volcano

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIP - VTEnviro

His Memory Eternal
Reaction score
I'm no volcanologist, but won't this just cause pressure to build up in there?

JAKARTA (AFP) - Engineers dropped chains of concrete balls into a "volcano" oozing hot mud in Indonesia's East Java province Monday as they resumed a bid to stem the flow which has submerged entire villages.
"We have been able to insert four chains of concrete balls today, before changing smoke from the hot mud forced the operations to be halted," Rudi Novrianto, a spokesman for the audacious bid to plug the crater, told AFP.

The operation to drop the chains into the main crater was halted on Saturday when a cable linking two cranes hoisting them suffered damage.

Workers had managed to insert only the first chain. Each one links together four concrete balls.

Two cranes, one static and the other movable, have been erected on both sides of the crater. They are used to drop the chained concrete balls into the hole.

Work was delayed Sunday by repairs and heavy rains, which made conditions dangerous.

"We have had good weather today," Novrianto said. But he added the operation was called off for the remainder of Monday because drifting smoke from the hot mud had begun to affect workers.

"We will see tomorrow (Tuesday) whether the winds and the weather will allow us to continue the operations," Novrianto said.

Entire villages, factories and fields have been submerged by the mud, which has forced more than 15,000 people from their homes.

The mud sprang up when exploratory drilling by the PT Lapindo Brantas energy firm pierced an underground chamber of hydrogen sulphide, forcing hot mud to the surface in Sidoarjo, East Java.

Engineers plan to drop about 375 chains of concrete balls, weighing 400-500 kilograms (880-1,100 pounds), into the 50-metre (165-feet) mud hole, under a plan devised by a local expert.

The aim is to slow the mudflow by about 50-70 percent, but there is no guarantee the experimental attempt will work.

I think I saw this done one time by the Wily E. Coyote with some ACME cannon balls. My recollection was that he did not achieve the desired result. :(

JR

Last edited:
The "local expert" is probably the 45yr old Aboriginal leader who consulted his necklace of animal teeth for guidance after downing a pint of mushroom juice. :(

Why don't they just get Superman to drop a large frozen lake in there and put out the fire? :(

The "local expert" is probably the 45yr old Aboriginal leader who consulted his necklace of animal teeth for guidance after downing a pint of mushroom juice.
After a couple puffs of "spirit herb" from his ceremonial pipe.
Why don't they just get Superman to drop a large frozen lake in there and put out the fire?
We're talking 3rd world here. You think they can afford his hourly rate?

I want to see how big these balls are. I bet not as big as the ones in my...
Excuse me, do you have 4,000 pound concrete balls?

Why yes, I do?

How can you walk?!?!?

Work was delayed Sunday by repairs and heavy rains, which made conditions dangerous.
Huh? I thought conditions already were dangerous...

That sounds pretty stupid to me, overall. "Gee, let's go experiment with this messed up idea, but let's do it in a third world country where we won't be acocuntable for any failures."

Anybody remember in Vegas Vacation when Clark tries to plug the dam with bubble gum? Sound familiar??

I believe he was a self-proclaimed food additives expert.

I think the line from National Lampoon's vacation was something like, "I work in the field of food additives and condiments(not preseratives) ..."

Good call PG - you da man !! :)

JR

The only way to stop a volcano is to move out of its range of fire.
You mean this doesn't work ???!!!!

tribal.gif
tribal.gif
tribal.gif
tribal.gif
tribal.gif
tribal.gif
tribal.gif
tribal.gif

JR

This is an unusual case since the eruption was cased by human activity, other than human sacrifice used in the past to varying sucess. Maybe this human activity will stop it. I'm thinking that they are feeding the volcano high quality shrapnel, but what to I know?

Whoa... blast from the past!

I wonder why Fudgey never weighed in on this one?

Back