EET vs. School of PE?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beej

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am preparing to take the Transportation depth PE exam Spring 2016. I am planning to take a review course and I have narrowed down my selection between EET & School of PE. I have read other similar threads but couldn't find one that compared the two.

Which review course should I take and why?

Thank you

Beej

For AM topics, I think SoPE and EET are about equal, with EET having a slight edge. For depth topics, EET wins hands down. At least for the Water Depth.

When I took SoPE last year, the Depth review was about 20hrs. EET has been about 50 hours.

Thanks for the advice Matt.

Did you take both courses?

Also, what is the reason you gave EET an edge for their morning section?

I sent two identical emails about 2 weeks ago, one to EET and another to SofPE asking some general questions I had for the review course. SofPE really impressed me with their prompt reply. I am still waiting to hear back from EET. SofPE impressed me with their quick helpful reply but you are right about the Depth review being longer for EET.

Bee,

I took SoPE last year and I'm in EET now. I also took PPI for an afternoon review, which was a waste. I haven't taken the exam yet though. I'm taking it this month for the first time.

When I took SoPE, the morning topics binder was broken up into the 5 main subjects; Construction, Geotech, Structural, Transportation, and Water. But, the NCEES breakdown for the AM is no longer like that. EET presents the material with tabbed binders that match NCEES' exam outline. To me, that made more sense. EET also mails you the binders. With SoPE, you have to print them out yourself. SoPE was taught 8hr Saturdays and Sundays for about 5 weeks to cover AM and PM. They covered a lot of material in a short time. EET was/is taught for about 8hrs on a Saturday with some Q/A sessions on a Tuesday or Thrusday for about 11 weeks to cover AM and PM. Having the sessions spread out like that might allow a student to "digest" more of the material vs. cramming.

I think EET has a phone number listed online. If they don't response via e-mail, try calling. EET is a smaller group of than SoPE and they are finishing up their courses now so e-mail might be slower for them.

Good luck with your studies.

I can't believe you didn't get a reply to your email, I'm sure it's an oversight as I've never heard of them being slow to respond.

Call (916) 220-8423, you should get Samir.

Read through all of the EET reviews from last test session, I think they will have the answer you are looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
The other review courses just don't go into the PM depth enough. EET goes deep into Breadth and Depth ... I used my EET notes for like 95% of the exam. If I didn't know better, I'd swear these guys wrote the test. If you're taking transpo, Samir is great, and you'll get answers to your questions within hours. Not to mention, EET is the cheaper option.

I took EET AM and PM as well as Seismic, and I passed the test on my first try. In general, they reply your email really fast, sometimes I sent out an email at 10pm, and I got it back like 12 AM or 1AM.

Bee,

I took SoPE last year and I'm in EET now. I also took PPI for an afternoon review, which was a waste. I haven't taken the exam yet though. I'm taking it this month for the first time.

When I took SoPE, the morning topics binder was broken up into the 5 main subjects; Construction, Geotech, Structural, Transportation, and Water. But, the NCEES breakdown for the AM is no longer like that. EET presents the material with tabbed binders that match NCEES' exam outline. To me, that made more sense. EET also mails you the binders. With SoPE, you have to print them out yourself. SoPE was taught 8hr Saturdays and Sundays for about 5 weeks to cover AM and PM. They covered a lot of material in a short time. EET was/is taught for about 8hrs on a Saturday with some Q/A sessions on a Tuesday or Thrusday for about 11 weeks to cover AM and PM. Having the sessions spread out like that might allow a student to "digest" more of the material vs. cramming.

I think EET has a phone number listed online. If they don't response via e-mail, try calling. EET is a smaller group of than SoPE and they are finishing up their courses now so e-mail might be slower for them.

Good luck with your studies.
How was the depth review for School of PE? I am planning to take Structural Depth and want to know if they cover the topics well and in detail?

For water, the depth review for SoPE really wasn't that indepth. Their main focus seems to be on the AM topics with the depth as an after thought. This was my impression when I took them in the spring.

EET's aftertoon is much more indepth for water. I assume the Structural depth class will also be good.

So EET is done now, Matt?

Nasrul is an excellent instructor, isn't he?

Yes. EET has finished up. Tuesday night was the last scheduled class.

Nazrul was awesome. You can tell that he put a lot of time and effort into his notes, especially the water depth. He also actually cares about his students. He was more of a mentor than just an instructor.

My advice to people is to take the Civil Water exam so you'll have an excuse to take EET with Nazrul. :)

It was a good class. Lots of work. The rest is up to me.

Yes. EET has finished up. Tuesday night was the last scheduled class.
Nazrul was awesome. You can tell that he put a lot of time and effort into his notes, especially the water depth. He also actually cares about his students. He was more of a mentor than just an instructor.

My advice to people is to take the Civil Water exam so you'll have an excuse to take EET with Nazrul. :)

It was a good class. Lots of work. The rest is up to me.
How was the EET Civil PE Exam Breadth?

I thought the EET breadth was also pretty good. Like all review courses, there will be some instructors that are better than others. Overall, EET for breadth and depth is a good choice. I liked how they organized their notes. I liked that they mailed me the binders so I didn't have to print out all the material myself. I also liked their use of simulated exams.

I thought the EET breadth was also pretty good. Like all review courses, there will be some instructors that are better than others. Overall, EET for breadth and depth is a good choice. I liked how they organized their notes. I liked that they mailed me the binders so I didn't have to print out all the material myself. I also liked their use of simulated exams.
Does School of PE provide a lot of problems and examples? Do they have simulated exams? I think EET does not have a Structural Depth. The only review course is School of PE, ASCE, or PPI.

Last edited by a moderator:
SoPE does provide lots of practice problems. Maybe a little more than EET for the morning part. For water depth, EET afternoon had a ton more practice problems. SoPE does not have a simulated exam.

I left like I cheated the exam after taking School of PE, They were that good!

Thanks for your help everybody. I just signed up for the EET Breadth & Transportation Depth so looking forward to getting it done!

School of PE had a very comprehensive construction depth review. I think they beefed up the program for October 2015. 

My one gripe was they didn't have a simulated exam. Hopefully they correct that. 

SOPE is over rated and the professor reads right out of the book, word for word

Back