Civil Engineer roles and responsibilities

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLG923PE

Reaction score
Looking for a little insight as to what everyone sees as the typical breakdown of experience, credentials, title, etc within their company related to roles.

The company I worked for previously was very large. I'll use the highway group as an example of breakdown:

Designer - Performed calcs, design and prepared plans. Essentially did the "dirty work". 0-4 years experience with an EIT.

Project Engineer - Performed more advanced calcs and design and supervised Designers (checked calcs, design, plans, etc). Prepared contract documents. 4-8 years experience with a PE (sometimes an EIT).

Senior Engineer/Project Manager- Supervised Designers and Project Engineers and final QA/QC. Managed workload, schedules, assisted group manager. 8+ years experience with a PE.

Group/Project Manager - Managed group, solicited work, performed PM role. Variable experience and credentials (usually a PE).

Have seen a little discussion on this before but never very in depth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen the system above (at my current company), and also the Engineer I-V system, where a 1 is typically a fresh grad, a 3 is usually a PE and starting to be responsible for projects, 4s do most of the review and stamping, and a 5 is a technical expert. From what I've seen, in this arrangement, many people move from 3 or 4 to the project management track and bypass Engineer V.

Looking for a little insight as to what everyone sees as the typical breakdown of experience, credentials, title, etc within their company related to roles.

The company I worked for previously was very large. I'll use the highway group as an example of breakdown:

Designer - Performed calcs, design and prepared plans. Essentially did the "dirty work". 0-4 years experience with an EIT.

Project Engineer - Performed more advanced calcs and design and supervised Designers (checked calcs, design, plans, etc). Prepared contract documents. 4-8 years experience with a PE (sometimes an EIT).

Senior Engineer/Project Manager- Supervised Designers and Project Engineers and final QA/QC. Managed workload, schedules, assisted group manager. 8+ years experience with a PE.

Group/Project Manager - Managed group, solicited work, performed PM role. Variable experience and credentials (usually a PE).

Have seen a little discussion on this before but never very in depth.
Sounds about right. I might combine the Project Engineer and Project Manager positions, and I think I'd stick a 'Drafter' before Designer. The drafter wouldn't need an EIT but I think the designer should have at least an EIT, if not a PE.

Hi guys looking some help/mentoring 

I am reading my first book on engineering (Structures: Or Why Things Don't Fall Down). I want to build something challenging that I can actually complete.  Any suggestions/kits/places to start? It seems like the kind of question that if you are asking engineering isn't for you.... but I think it is awesome and would love to pick it up as a hobby. Book suggestions welcome too.

Thanks in advance for your time 

Sounds about right. I might combine the Project Engineer and Project Manager positions, and I think I'd stick a 'Drafter' before Designer. The drafter wouldn't need an EIT but I think the designer should have at least an EIT, if not a PE.
I started out as a Drafter -> Designer -> Senior Designer -> Staff Engineer -> Project Engineer -> Senior Engineer (if I get my PE).

My story is a bit different from most since I received my EIT before I finished college.  I was given the title Designer and not Engineer* because I didn't have a degree yet.  

Since I've worked at a few different companies (both large and small), I've noticed some places use the position of Designer for experienced Drafters, with no Engineering degree or EIT.  I think this has something to do with retention since it recognizes the role of these individuals who have many years of experience (more so than a new EIT).  The roles are similar to Senior Drafters, but the title of Designer provides more recognition, especially as CAD software becomes more of an engineering and design tool rather than just a drafting tool.

*I think it depends on regulations within the state.  Ohio only allows the use of the work "Engineer" for someone who has graduated college with an accredited engineering degree.  You must have your PE to use the wording "Professional Engineer".

Here are my comments (changes in bold):

Drafter - Prepared routine drafting projects. 0-4 years drafting experience.

Senior Drafter - Prepared detailed drafting projects, including minor design work. 4-8 years drafting experience.

Designer - Performed calcs, design and prepared plans.  0-4 years experience without EIT.

Senior Designer - Performed more advanced calcs, design and prepared plans.  4+ years experience without EIT.

Engineer Intern - Performed calcs, design and prepared plans. Essentially did the "dirty work". 0-4 years experience with an EIT.

Back