PE References in VA

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris.

Reaction score
I have tried to search the forum, but can't find anything on point. I am thinking of going through the PE process in Virginia. My background is in electrical and computer engineering (much more the computer side) and I think I could do well on the PE exam from the sample questions. The FE will be much more challenging as it has been >10 years since I got out, but I feel confident that with some study I could pass that as well.

The challenge I am having is the references. No one in my industry seems to be a PE. I can't find a single person in my company who is a PE despite working there for 10 years! Like I said earlier, my background is in computer engineering and soSucks!are engineering, which seem to be covered by the exam, but I am not sure if I will be able to get a PE from VA without references from PEs (I could get plenty of references otherwise though). I don't want to go through the time and expense of all the tests if this will not be possible. Any advice?

Thanks!

yes, they need reference from PEs (3 of them actually). I just recently completed my application thru comity. This also applied to Maryland which required PE as reference for characters as well as working with other PEs. as well as in DC which required 3 PEs as well.

not sure which states required no PE references. - maybe Washington state?

Good way to get to local PEs is to join to NSPE local chapter. There is an upcoming MD NSPE Potomac chapter meeting coming up 9/16 at Rockville - 1/2 blocks from Metro stop. PM If you are interested coming

Last edited by a moderator:
Back