Windows 10

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snickerd3

Taking suggestions
Reaction score
mr snick downloaded his free win 10 upgrade yesterday. it defaulted to the tablet/touchscreen format when installed but he foundt he setting to switch it back to the desktop view.

it was still on the tablet view when i tried it...not a fan of that setting. took a bit to find the internet browser, didn't realize Edge is the new IE.

he requested win 10 for the laptop too, but he was going to wait until after using 10 on desktop for a while before loading to the laptop

My computer downloaded it last night. I'm waiting on the reviews before I install it.

Due up for the install, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Plan on doing so since KF gave the EB.com thumb of approval.

Pulled the trigger and installed Windows 10.

KF, you don't lie. It's like windows 7 but the start menu has those live tiles. It is even running my PC version of Fallout 3 just fine.

:plusone:

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's on par with 7 then I may have to look into it. I absolutely refused to upgrade to 8. Of course, do you need a super-computer to run it? I've still got my 4 year old laptop, granted it was pretty badass back in the day, but it is getting up there.

Did the install, no noticeable changes in normal activities other than stupid start menu links and a few shortcuts that didn't work after the upgrade.

If it's on par with 7 then I may have to look into it. I absolutely refused to upgrade to 8. Of course, do you need a super-computer to run it? I've still got my 4 year old laptop, granted it was pretty badass back in the day, but it is getting up there.
Though it wasn't intuitive at all, Windows 8/8.1 was also basically an "enhanced" version of W7. But only if correctly configured to do so. All the old commands and file structure was maintained, with a few new features thrown in as well. W8 booted so much faster than W7 ever did.

As for W10 hardware/software requirements, you can use the Windows Compatibility Center to verify proper functionality.

I like windows 8.1

I guess I need to look up and see if everything I run works with Windows 10 before I decide to upgrade or not.

I like windows 8.1

I guess I need to look up and see if everything I run works with Windows 10 before I decide to upgrade or not.
I had no real issues with it other than the annoying "Metro" interface and some lingering driver issues where I could "upgrade" from 8 to 8.1 (required a new install).

If you have no compatibility issues with 8.1, you likely won't have any with 10. Check the link I posted above which should be able to scan and let you know if there are any issues.

I just switched to windows 10 from 7... I don't mind it too much, will take a little getting use to the new start menu, but not that bad...now I'm having more trouble going from office 2007 to 2013....

KF, you don't lie. It's like windows 7 but the start menu has those live tiles. It is even running my PC version of Fallout 3 just fine.

I got rid of those stupid tiles. I am not a fan of some of the stuff it won't let you delete, though.

I got rid of those stupid tiles. I am not a fan of some of the stuff it won't let you delete, though.
You could always install a 3rd party Start Menu that more closely mimics the classic Win7 version. It's developed by Stardock. It's what I used to bring the Start Menu back to Win8/8.1 while I was running that.

My son installed Windows 10 on his new laptop. After the installation, when the computer booted up the desktop screen would just refresh once a second and nothing worked. After working on it for 3 nights, I just reinstalled Windows 8.1.

I guess we'll just wait for Windows 10.1

Last edited by a moderator:
seems really hit or miss with the win 10. our laptop had no troubles loaded the desktop version and worked aok, our desktop installed the tablet format as default just a few clicks to make it desktop and we were good to go. but others have had problems

Isn't windows 10 the same as running two machines with windows XP?

Windows XP= Windows 5

2x Windows XP = Windows 10

The math checks

My son installed Windows 10 on his new laptop. After the installation, when the computer booted up the desktop screen would just refresh once a second and nothing worked. After working on it for 3 nights, I just reinstalled Windows 8.1.

I'm guessing this is related to some type of driver(s) issue. Since you aren't likely to work on it any further, one thing that might have helped was to have any hardware drivers updated from the mfr. and also to uninstall any 3rd party A/V and/or firewall software.

I'm guessing this is related to some type of driver(s) issue. Since you aren't likely to work on it any further, one thing that might have helped was to have any hardware drivers updated from the mfr. and also to uninstall any 3rd party A/V and/or firewall soSucks!are.
what ever happened to opening the box, plugging something in and having it work? seriously?

Back