PE Environmental October 2015 folks

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarvinsir

Reaction score
Everyone,

My first post here.

I will be taking PE Environmental in October 2015. It seems there is lot of good information in different threads here such as study material, review courses, exam tips, and general exam day experiences.

I am planning on taking SOPE review course beginning Sept 2015. I shall appreciate if there is anyone out there who took this review course during April 2015 exam and would like to share his/her experience? As such there is so much material to cover. Any specific tips on where to start?

Also if there are people who would like to study for this exam as a group (over Skype), let me know?

Good Luck

Sar

Hey Sar!

I hope you are not the only one taking the environmental exam in a couple of weeks...

If you reading this and are taking the exam, feel free to vent and ask questions in here...There are some really smart people who can answer questions, or just provide reassurance...

Best of luck to everyone.

I'm re-taking the Environmental PE exam on the 30th as well. I took it for the first time last April, but I didn't pass. I registered for the SOPE review, but only the recorded versions of the classes as with a full-time job and kids, I just can't commit to that kind of rigid structure. Even though I didn't pass last April, I think the SOPE review is extremely beneficial. I was essentially an earth sciences/geology major as an undergrad so I've had to try to make up a lot of ground on my own. Going into this exam, I feel much more confident with the material, or at least more than I did in April.

I have a couple of reference materials questions for anyone that has any suggestions/advice:

1.) Are there any particularly good references for information on varius types of viruses or bacteria? I think I've run into some practice problems along that way that ask which type of virus or bacteria is most resistant to XXX. It seems like I can never find much information on this in my references.

2.) I want to bring along copies of some relevant federal regs. (e.g., CAA, CWA, CERCLA, RCRA, etc.), but obviously that can get bulky fast. Any recommendations on how to handle bringing regulations as references? I was thinking of trying to bring summaries of each, but given that the questions on the exam can be all over the place, it's almost impossible to know where to draw the line.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.

Good luck to you as well, Sar!

I can't help on point #1; I don't remember too many questions like that on my exam in '08. However, as far as #2 is concerned, I took a reference called the Environmental Law Handbook by Sullivan with me. It had a good synopsis of each Federal act. Good luck!

I'm guessing that the questions on microbial resistance were related to disinfection? You can probably find that in a good drinking water engineering book (can't think of one off the top of my head, there are a few). OR you could probably find a very good reference online - just look up drinking wter disinfection and microbial resistance, or some such.

I have a couple of microbiology books that cover it very well, but that's probably too much. One is "Environmental Microbiology" by Pepper, Gerba, & Gentry. S

Here's a web page with some presentations covering the topic pretty well. The 'Control of microorganisms" is the one that covers disinfection the best, and has some of the material from Pepper & Gerba.

http://www.marianasoperators.org/february-5-2015.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for those ideas, Dleg. I printed out that some stuff from that website you linked above, and it appears to be a good summary of drinking disinfection that I was looking for.

4 more days...getting close now!

Back