Passed PMP Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cupojoe PE PMP

Reaction score
I passed the PMP exam today. I wanted to put some notes here for anyone else who might be thinking about it.

My company offered the 35 hour training classes that covers the PMBOK, so if you are looking for a class, I'm probably not much help here. My company also had a structured study group session. I didn't find it all that helpful, so I stopped going, but I could see how someone would find that helpful.

By far the most useful book that I used was the Rita Mulcahy book. She passed away several years ago, but continues to author books, Tupac style. I read the Rita book cover to cover and did many of the exercises and all of the end of chapter tests. I also used the book Head First PMP, the questions in that book were good, and helped me flush out things that I didn't know. I looked through some other books the library had available, and found them to be substandard.

When I took the PE, I used SchoolofPE.com. They have since started a sister service, SchoolofPM.com. They had an online trial that promised 200 questions, for free. Then you could get additional sets of 200 questions by paying more money (the lowest was $25), so I thought that might be worth it. When I took the free Test (Test 1) there were only 150 questions, some of them were duplicate, others they forgot to fill in some of the answers, and just a lot of grammar and other typos. I decided it was not worth paying for their service. This was especially disappointing, because I think so highly of their PE test services. Hopefully they improve this for future test takers.

In total I spent the 35 hours for the required live class (though I don't feel this was a necessary to pass the exam, only required to get approved to take exam). Then probably 40-50 hours studying for the exam. (I spent probably 300+ hours including SOPE class for the PE exam) On Practice tests I was scoring between 65-78% before the exam, then going back and figuring out what I did wrong. On the results from the actual test, I receive moderate proficiency in Initiating, Planning, and Executing. I receive Proficient in Monitoring & Controlling and Closing.

Also the PMBOK is the dullest book I have ever attempted to read and gave up quickly. Have it for reference, but don't try to read it. The book wasn't cheap, if you join PMI you can get the book as a PDF for free, this is adequate for how little I used it. Plus they price the test so that it is slightly cheaper to join PMI for year when you apply for the test, so really it means the book is free. All-in-all, the hardest part was setting aside what I do at work and learning the PMI way. For example on estimates at work for Rough Order of Magnitude, we target +/-50%, PMBOK wants -25%/+75%. For the next level, we target +/-20%, PMBOK wants -10%/+25%, and for the bottoms-up estimate, at work we use +/-10% the PMBOK wants the same. So there aren't great differences, but they do need to be remembered. In reality, if we were to target the PMBOK numbers at work, we'd probably end up with the same number. Oh yeah, the ITTOs are pointless, don't look at them, memorize them, anything. Just read the book and understand each process and how it fits into the larger picture and the ITTO won't be needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted this somewhere else, but I thought I'd post it here so everything is in a single thread:

At work they had a formal study group. The guy who led the group said to remember to answer the questions as if your name is Pem-Bob (name modified from PMBOK). "Pem-Bob" is a fictional project manager whose projects are large in size and scope yet perfectly organized. His requirements are clearly defined and when he executes projects, he follows the procedures outlined in the PMBOK (pronounced pem-bock) exactly as they are written. Further when changes are required to his project, he completes the entire change approval process outlined in the PMBOK.

The one thing I'd add to Pem-Bob, is that he is not a destructive person. He wants to see everyone on the project succeed. He is level headed and doesn't jump to conclusions. He doesn't pass his problems off to other people. He will coach employees, but isn't interested in getting them fired.

That's a pretty fair assessment of the PMP. I tell people that Rita's book is the best thing out there. (someone is making a lot of money off her name). There are a few other books out there like Head First which was mentioned earlier and one by Kim Heldman.

Overall to all the people who aced the PE thinking that you'll come in and halfway prep for this and pass may be disappointed. I passed on the first try and probably studied more than necessary, but nowhere near like studying for the PE (I actually read the PMBOK). One thing this exam tests you on is whether you can pay attention. They give lots of information and it's up to you to decipher what's important. Find tons of sample question sources to get a feel how different people view the exam.

I took and passed the PMP test this morning.  I passed on my first attempt (Moderately Proficient across the board) and did find it quite challenging.  The test is four hours and I finished it with about 4 minutes to spare.  I agree if you come in halfway prepared you will find the exam very difficult.

My overall experience is below:

1. My application was audited.  Some sites make a big deal about how to submit your application so there is less chance of it being audited, but overall the audit process was easy and straight forward.  All I had to do was send in my undergrad transcript (I used one of the courses as my 35 hours of PM education), my masters transcript (education level), and my PM work experience (my supervisor signed the form I filled out with my work experience.  They did require him to sign the envelope flap providing proof I had not tampered with it).  Cost was $555.
  2. I purchased the School of PM OnDemand Diamond package since I had previously used The School of PE and had good experience with them.  I went through the videos, notes, took the downloaded quizzes, and did the online exams.  I also downloaded their flashcards to my iPad. The videos were helpful, but I agree with cupojoe PE PMP that their online quizzes had some errors, misspellings, and duplicates.  These helped, but  they need to correct the mistakes.  Cost was $499.
  3. I purchased the PMBOK. Cost was $50.
  4. I purchased some more practice tests from tests.com. Tests were okay, but outdated. Cost was $25.
I spent about 35 hours on the videos and another 55+/- hours studying review notes, going through practice exams, and reviewing the PMBOK . Overall I studied about 15 hours a week for about 6 weeks. 

I don't get a raise, but my company did pay for everything. 

Overall, I am glad I did it and expect to find it helpful.

Congratulations and thank you for sharing your experience. It is very helpful for future exam takers.

I passed my PMP today.  My employer offered study classes by Aspire which are generally considered only worthwhile to accumulate the required 35 hours of formal training.  Nothing you learn in these Aspire classes will help with the exam.

I purchased the Rita Book and read it cover-to-cover twice.  After the second reading I did all the Chapter Tests in the book, and then read the chapters a third time for all chapters wherein my Chapter Test score was under 75%.  Total study time fit within 4-6 weeks of random evenings and reading days.

The exam required 2-1/2 hours.  Of the five tested categories I received "Above Target" in three, "Met Target" in one, and "Below Target" in one.  Overall score placed me in "Above Target".

I did no on-line tests.  I purchased no other tests.  I had no study group.  I am older than dirt (nearly 62).

I passed my PMP today.  My employer offered study classes by Aspire which are generally considered only worthwhile to accumulate the required 35 hours of formal training.  Nothing you learn in these Aspire classes will help with the exam.

I purchased the Rita Book and read it cover-to-cover twice.  After the second reading I did all the Chapter Tests in the book, and then read the chapters a third time for all chapters wherein my Chapter Test score was under 75%.  Total study time fit within 4-6 weeks of random evenings and reading days.

The exam required 2-1/2 hours.  Of the five tested categories I received "Above Target" in three, "Met Target" in one, and "Below Target" in one.  Overall score placed me in "Above Target".

I did no on-line tests.  I purchased no other tests.  I had no study group.  I am older than dirt (nearly 62).
Congratulations.  Taking the test before the update to include Agile stuff was probably the right decision. Most of the prep stuff will now have to be updated.  The fun part starts now with earning PDU's. 

There a lot of options out there trying to separate you from your money.  My $.02 is to get the free ones and start early.  

do you know when the test will be updated? I heard in March 2018, is that correct? thanks

I found On-Line references identifying March 23, 2018 as the inaugural date of the "New" PMP exam.  I searched today for info regarding the last test date for the old exam but didn't find anything.  Having passed the current Exam yesterday it was a curiosity search only.

I also saw references identifying a short time period in early 2018 when a "Hybrid CAPM Exam" will be administered.  Anyone needing this Cert will want to investigate further.

Congratulations!  I second what ruggercsc said about meeting the 60 PDUs continuing certification requirement. Start early. I earned mine almost 2 years ago to the day, and used my prep for the Certified Construction Manager exam to fulfill a lot of the PDUs but it's still not enough. I'm 13.5 PDUs shy but thankfully I have one more year to meet the requirement.  

They send you a pretty nice certificate too. Enjoy!

I found On-Line references identifying March 23, 2018 as the inaugural date of the "New" PMP exam.  I searched today for info regarding the last test date for the old exam but didn't find anything.  Having passed the current Exam yesterday it was a curiosity search only.

I also saw references identifying a short time period in early 2018 when a "Hybrid CAPM Exam" will be administered.  Anyone needing this Cert will want to investigate further.
Interesting. I have someone in my office working towards the CAPM. I'll have to look into this "Hybrid CAPM Exam" to see if it offers any significant challenges.

Back