Anyone following this real life Shawshank redemption story

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
Anyone else following this story about the two inmates who escaped from a New York State through a water pipe?

Sounds like they definitely had some inside help along the way.

And in a related note last week we had to pull some manhole covers off some sewer lines to checksum elevations and we could barely stand next to the manhole let alone climb down there. I don't Believe Andy would have been able to crawl through one of those

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm right there with you. First, I have no clue how no one heard them cutting through that steel wall and pipe. Not to mention the gases in the sewer.

I wait for the movie to get all the details.

I guess when you're looking at the rest of your life behind bars you can go through anything. Assuming they were crawling through a liv sewer, you'd think once they emerged it would be hard to "blend in" with out some serious bathing...and where do you go for that?

What amazes me is how they knew the building MEP layout to plan the route. It's actually pretty fascinating. Sure these guys committed murder but it I believe they targeted their victims for personal reasons and I truly don't believe they are a serious threat to the general population....just don't piss them off.

I believe he killed someone during a robbery in his youth - but you know that was probably society's problem anyways..

word is that the K-9 unit has picked up a scent while combing the woods 3 miles outside of the prison they broke out of. Should only be a matter of time now.

canada.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes you're right I was referencing the scene from the movie where they climb through that **** pipe

I don't think they crawled through a sewer pipe. According to yahoo (https://news.yahoo.com/official-admits-no-information-escaped-killers-054659642.html#) it was a steam pipe. And yes, a steam pipe would present it's own difficulties.

Edit:

http://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/new-york-prison-break-authorities-baffled-by-convicts-escape/story-fnh81jut-1227388093915

094294-786dcb98-0d7b-11e5-b08a-ef2f23067d2e.jpg

Too clean to be a sewer pipe.
cuts too clean not to be an inside job...how did they cut that?

Found out one of my coworkers grew up with one of these guys. Went to school with him for years.

Imagine how they felt when they climbed out of the manhole and their getaway driver was not there.

If there is one time in your life that you want your ride to show up, that is it.

Back