When you cool your house down at night?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lundy

Reaction score
Do you put your fans blowing cool air in or room air out? My philosophy is blow room air out. If you are blowing in your are just mixing the hot room air and cold outside air. If you are blowing out you are introducing cold air though other open windows and removing warmed mixed air....I've always wondered what other people think since I see it done each way....And I would justify blowing in if you are sitting in front of it for evaporative body cooling while sitting on the couch.

edit:maybe this post should be moved...

Last edited by a moderator:
I close all the windows and turn on the AC. ;)
In California I would do that as well!

Why is it state dependent? Do you really have a fan at each window? I have a few ceiling fans and a few portable floor-standing fans, but it's very rare that I put the fan near the window. If I do, I have the outside air blow in (I am not only trying to lower the inside temp but I also want to feel the breeze).

Why is it state dependent? Do you really have a fan at each window? I have a few ceiling fans and a few portable floor-standing fans, but it's very rare that I put the fan near the window. If I do, I have the outside air blow in (I am not only trying to lower the inside temp but I also want to feel the breeze).
I meant that in a way that it typically doesn't get down to the 50-60's that quick at night in California after it's 90-100 in the day time. Juse more 'free cooling' up here in Portland with the big temps swings.

Blow the hot air out. Nerd alert: The fan itself gives off heat.

Spring/Summer/Fall: Ceiling fan on, AC on, window closed.

Winter: Ceiling fan on, window open.

Spring/Summer/Fall with broken AC: Ceiling fan on, window open, bedroom door open, window fan blowing in across me in bed.

Me and warmth don't do well together when I'm trying to sleep. The power outages in Houston courtesy of Hurricane Ike a few years back **** near killed me.

I meant that in a way that it typically doesn't get down to the 50-60's that quick at night in California after it's 90-100 in the day time. Juse more 'free cooling' up here in Portland with the big temps swings.

I see what you are saying. Believe it or not, I am in the same boat. My area (Riverside County, CA) is considered desert and we can have scorching days but cool nights. But I usually just open the windows, no fan at the window. I have a two-story so sometimes the upstairs is brutal!

I watch the indoor / outdoor thermometer and when it is one degree cooler outside, the whole house fan goes on and I open the slider in the room i'm in, usually the kitchen. That thing blows the heat out of the attic and keeps the upstairs cool.

I watch the indoor / outdoor thermometer and when it is one degree cooler outside, the whole house fan goes on and I open the slider in the room i'm in, usually the kitchen. That thing blows the heat out of the attic and keeps the upstairs cool.

I'm jealous, I have always wanted a whole house fan.

There not to bad to install. I wonder if the newer ones are as noisy as the ones from 20 years ago?

We only ran the ac about 3 weeks last summer but the attic fan would come in handy about half the summer...

^^^ This when night time temps are above about 75 or so.

Do you put your fans blowing cool air in or room air out? My philosophy is blow room air out. If you are blowing in your are just mixing the hot room air and cold outside air. If you are blowing out you are introducing cold air though other open windows and removing warmed mixed air....I've always wondered what other people think since I see it done each way....And I would justify blowing in if you are sitting in front of it for evaporative body cooling while sitting on the couch.

^^^ same as you.... when its in the low 70 or below I turn the AC off and always blow the hot air out with a window fan in one bedroom and the other bedroom window open.

I also have a built in kitchen wall fan that blows out, which is great for using the oven or brewing in the summer :beerbang:

^^^ This when night time temps are above about 75 or so.

^^^ same as you.... when its in the low 70 or below I turn the AC off and always blow the hot air out with a window fan in one bedroom and the other bedroom window open.

I also have a built in kitchen wall fan that blows out, which is great for using the oven or brewing in the summer :beerbang:
YES to beer brewing!

YES to beer brewing!

kicked my keg last night....need to keg 1 and start brewing another
I have a roselare sour going that I'm going to wait next year and have that as a one year anniversary house beer, a brett IPA on tap, a cucumber wheat beer carbonating, a gose, dry hopped CDA and a 3 Floyd's IPA fermenting away right now.Looking to have a few on tap at our wedding in....10 days...coming up quicker than I thought

YES to beer brewing!
kicked my keg last night....need to keg 1 and start brewing another
I have a roselare sour going that I'm going to wait next year and have that as a one year anniversary house beer, a brett IPA on tap, a cucumber wheat beer carbonating, a gose, dry hopped CDA and a 3 Floyd's IPA fermenting away right now.Looking to have a few on tap at our wedding in....10 days...coming up quicker than I thought
Run Forrest Run!!

I hate going to bed when it's 82 with the AC on, then waking up around 6am when it's 50 outside and still 72 inside.

It would be ideal if the AC would go off and the windows would open themselves about midnight-2am. I need a Jetson house.

I hate going to bed when it's 82 with the AC on, then waking up around 6am when it's 50 outside and still 72 inside.

It would be ideal if the AC would go off and the windows would open themselves about midnight-2am. I need a Jetson house.

You would need a PLC, a couple of RTD's, and some window motors. Let me get estimating to work on that for you :)

Back