Get licensed in 2 disciplines?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caley89

Reaction score
Does anyone here have 2 licenses? for example civil and mechanical. if so, can you share your story?

anyone else have thoughts on this?

I believe there was a user on here by the name of "palvarez". I think he had like 3 or 4 of them because he worked at/owned an MEP firm. Which then tends to make sense of having multiple licenses.

On the other hand, taking that test so many times? :blink:

I believe there was a user on here by the name of "palvarez". I think he had like 3 or 4 of them because he worked at/owned an MEP firm. Which then tends to make sense of having multiple licenses.

On the other hand, taking that test so many times? :blink:

to impress potential employers, get a leg up in your career, learn more, etc

I graduated civil and just passed the HVAC and Refrigeration test but currently I have no desire to put myself through another 5 months of no social life. One stamp is good enough for me right now :0

i'm a Mechanical Engineer and i passed both the Mechanical and Civil PE exams. i'm really happy i decided to take both exams, i feel like it really broadens my potential for job positions. on the Civil side of things my ultimate goal is to obtain an SE license. do you have any specific questions or are you just looking for general input on who has multi-discipline licenses?

edit: as mentioned above palvarez83 has multiple licenses; mechanical, civil, and electrical i believe. he's a cool dude and answered a lot of my questions when i started looking into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm a Mechanical Engineer and i passed both the Mechanical and Civil PE exams. i'm really happy i decided to take both exams, i feel like it really broadens my potential for job positions. on the Civil side of things my ultimate goal is to obtain an SE license. do you have any specific questions or are you just looking for general input on who has multi-discipline licenses?

edit: as mentioned above palvarez83 has multiple licenses; mechanical, civil, and electrical i believe. he's a cool dude and answered a lot of my questions when i started looking into it.
Do you use both of your stamps at your current employer?

Do you use both of your stamps at your current employer?

as you can see in WA it's a single license number with multiple Endorsements, so i only have a single 'stamp'. i haven't stamped any drawings yet with my current employer but the opportunity will come. i believe legally any licensed PE can stamp any engineering drawing (e.g. a mechanical PE can stamp electrical drawings,etc). it's up to the engineer to discern which drawings they're qualified to stamp.

Not sure how it works in Washington, did you use the same degree as experience credit for both licenses?

if i correctly understand what you're asking, i did not use my college degree as experience credit. I've had several years of structural design experience in the workplace so that's what i used for the CE exam application.

I work as environmental engineer in Washington, and passed both the Environmental and Chemical PE exams. For the environmental field, having both licenses is a definite plus as there is some crossover between the two disciplines. I agree with Porter that having the multiple license endorsement broadens your job potential, and am quite happy I did both (even though I had to promise my wife a Hawaii trip to get her buy-off on spending time studying for the Chemical PE!).

What are the experience requirements? I am an Electrical Intern and want to get licensed in Mechanical:HVAC and Refridge after I get the Electrical. Do you need another 4 years?

What are the experience requirements? I am an Electrical Intern and want to get licensed in Mechanical:HVAC and Refridge after I get the Electrical. Do you need another 4 years?
I think its another 6 years

Depends on the state, but I think you can have overlapping experience so long as the professional experience is in the correct discipline.

Does anyone on here have a Civil and Environmental license?  I am going for civil first but I am also thinking of getting the environmental one too and just wanted to hear anyone's thoughts to see if they recommend it.

I have both, a Civil-WRE & Environmental license and an Environmental license. Just for me, the Civil exam was easier than environmental exam. I registered the license as discipline of civil engineer in Washington DC, the civil discipline is not shown up on the certificate. 

Somewhat related - I have both a PE and PLS license.  I can tell you from personal experience, as well as knowing a couple other PE/PLS holders:  You will almost never get paid for both licenses.  The benefit to holding multiple PE licenses, or a dual license like the PE/PLS is that is simply broadens your skill set when seeking employment.

I'm sure there are dual license holders that are making more for having two licenses - it's just not going to be the norm.

In many states, there are no disciplines, only general PE licenses; NY is an example. Even in some states that issue discipline specific PE licenses, education law permits you to review and stamp anything you feel confident enough to understand and approve; MA is an example. It's mostly self regulated. 

In my case, I went to school for Mechanical Engineering, but worked under Electrical Engineers for many years. I took the Mechanical FE exam, and then the Power PE exam. I would now consider myself competent enough to stamp certain types of designs in either field, and even some civil design based on what I've learned in my work experience and continuing education. We're all always growing in our competency, especially 10+ years after you sat for some state exam. 

So, I recommend before sitting for many exams or submitting more applications, you read your state's education law to see if they support self enforcement of what disciplines you should or should not stamp. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back