Back To The Drawing Board Again

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kduff70

Reaction score
[SIZE=10.5pt]I didn’t pass again, but I'm not giving up. The thing that get me is all the stuff that I was weak on the last test I did very well in but the stuff I did well on the last I did poor. I think I have to study principle more this next time while continuing to work all the spin, graffeo, CI , Ncees and focus on understand each Ncees topic principle very well that they provide . I will start this journey again next week thank you all for your help.[/SIZE]

I didn’t pass again, but I'm not giving up. The thing that get me is all the stuff that I was weak on the last test I did very well in but the stuff I did well on the last I did poor. I think I have to study principle more this next time while continuing to work all the spin, graffeo, CI , Ncees and focus on understand each Ncees topic principle very well that they provide . I will start this journey again next week thank you all for your help.
Keep your chin up, you can get it done. My problem was I studied for what was on the test I failed. And, obviously, none of that stuff showed up again. Understanding concepts will improve your confidence and help you immensely on the next test.

kduff70, I like your spirit...Don't give up...You can do it...Yeah, I would say focus more on the principles than anything else...That really helped me the second time...I read through Wildi as much as I could to understand all the basics and then went back to spin up, graffeo, CI, NCEES etc. Wildi looks scary/huge at the beginning - but trust me, once you finish a chapter or two, u will start liking it and feel comfortable with lot of core concepts...at least i really fell in love with book once i finished chapter 7-10 :)

Gud luck! I am sure u can do it October...Stay focused and determined...Quality studying matters the most than the actual number of hours...so take a break for little bit and then just GO for it...

Thank You Poosri that helps I will definitely take your adivce I think stronger principle verse problem solve might be the way to go

ya don't give up man....

do you have a quick formula/note book binder? I suggest to make one to help you

Don't lose hope, Kduff... it's only a matter of time until you pass. The only way one truly fails, is if they give up.

Take your time while working through the problems in Spin-Up, CI, Graffeo, NCEES, etc. Don't just pick an answer to get a right answer, but try to fully understand why the answer is what is it is, how it can be asked differently, and the theory behind it. Try to compare similar questions (for example, compare different kinds of autotransformers and stuff).

I used the Graffeo book as my main reference, along with my custom made binder with all the NCEES exam specifications tabbed in their own sections. As I worked through the practice exams, I wrote many extra notes throughout the Graffeo book and my binder printouts and had a lot of stuff highlighted in both. Try to give the Graffeo book a thorough read from cover to cover. .

As iwire mentioned, having a quick formula page is great. I ended up using the Graffeo book as my basis for forumulas and writing a bunch of additonal formulas in the "Notes" section of the book for any extra formulas the book didn't already have.

Good luck in October. Third times the charm!

Last edited by a moderator:
wow cant believe but i am still here running for 4th time in October. don't loose hope,,,,,, what really matters is YOU PASS no when u pass.

wow, i think by now everyone knows me, ,,,,,,, i failed 3rd time, and gosh i dnt know what in the world should i do to pass this exam,,,, i am just devastated at this point,,,,, i put so much efforts , hard work every time,,,,,,,, but i guess its not my time yet........ so many thoughts are running in my ,,,, shall i take break ,,,,,, or take classes or just again try of my own one more time....... i dnt think trying of my own will change something,,,,,,,, i so close to point to give up :( never felt such a ashamed of my self before. :(

wow, i think by now everyone knows me, ,,,,,,, i failed 3rd time, and gosh i dnt know what in the world should i do to pass this exam,,,, i am just devastated at this point,,,,, i put so much efforts , hard work every time,,,,,,,, but i guess its not my time yet........ so many thoughts are running in my ,,,, shall i take break ,,,,,, or take classes or just again try of my own one more time....... i dnt think trying of my own will change something,,,,,,,, i so close to point to give up :( never felt such a ashamed of my self before. :(
I posted my reply I have copied below on another thread. You need to take a week or two and identify the "why". You most likely need to reevaluate your habits, notes, references, etc. If you have prepped the same way 3 times with the same results, it may be time to shake things up a bit.

Read through what I said, see if this gives you a different perspective.

I took the test 4 times before I passed. I have seen on various threads around here that says you need to change your technique.

Personally, I stopped doing practice problems. I felt they did not reflect what I saw in the exam. Instead, I focused on trying to fully understand the concepts and various ways they ask the same question and where to locate the formulas. I guess I don't get how someone with a 4 year degree can't handle a timed test. But that's just my opinion.

You've taken the test, so you know the format. It's up to you if you want to adjust your study habits or not. I tried the same way 3 times with the same results. I switched it up and it worked for me. No one can tell you how you need to study, only you know how you learn. Keep at it and don't beat yourself up, it's a tough test.

Best of luck to all repeat takers.

Hi PEoct,

I am very sorry to hear that you did not pass for the third time. Don't loose hope. I know how much you prepared while we were communicating back and forth during the preparation for Oct 14 exam. my buddy who took the exam for the 4th time passed it this time. I am sure you will pass. good luck. I think you should find a study partner now. sometimes you would be amazed how different a second person will think a similar problem. I was able to understand lot of topics/problems from the other people in the study group.

Hi PEoct,

I am very sorry to hear that you did not pass for the third time. Don't loose hope. I know how much you prepared while we were communicating back and forth during the preparation for Oct 14 exam. my buddy who took the exam for the 4th time passed it this time. I am sure you will pass. good luck. I think you should find a study partner now. sometimes you would be amazed how different a second person will think a similar problem. I was able to understand lot of topics/problems from the other people in the study group.
ya i remember u , i know its so frustrating but thing for sure is that i am working hard but i need put my work it out using different direction,, i really need to bring change in my studying style....... ya u are right i wish i had group to work out with... well lets see time to get back again.

thank you for your kind words :)

Hang in there and try again. I failed once a year ago, passed this April.

Here is what I changed in my studying:

1) less practice problems (I used the NCEES study guide, Graffeo below and Spin Up, about 1/2 of the problems)

2) bought and studied this book, cover to cover.

The Electrical Engineer's Guide to Passing the Power PE Exam ,Alexander S Graffeo, PE
It has so much information regarding odd topics and obscure information regarding power systems.

3) I built up a better archive or synopsis of formulas and example problems.

4) Learned the MVA method for fault current calculations:

short circuit abc by moon Yuen

5) I started studying earlier, around Thanksgiving last year. My advice, start studying again soon,
you will need to keep everything fairly fresh in your head.

6) Remember, if you miss a sample problem, figure out why and rework the problem a few days later to validate your memory.
I made sure I understood the theory behind the problems, not just how to solve that particular problem.

7) I brushed up on basic single and three phase power circuits and thoery, some things I don't use in my job.

I also studied the NEC code more in depth than I did last time. Mike Holt's website is a great reference, I used his online tests for free to help out.

www.mikeholt.com

8) Finally, I didn't take any timed tests, I don't seem to have issues with time on these type of exams.

There are parts of each exam that I didn't know, but using the steps above, I was able to reduce the number of questions I had to guess on by at least half this last time.

I used the Graffeo book on about 1/3 of my questions.

My books:

The Electrical Engineer's Guide to Passing the Power PE Exam, Alexander S Graffeo, PE (used alot)
Electrical Engineering Reference Manual for the PE Exam, 5th Edition, Jun 1997, by Raymond B. Yarbrough (used on 3 questions)
Power Systems Analysis, Grainger, 1994
Schaum's Outline of Electrical Power Systems, 1989,Syed Nasar (not much use, but it may have given me one answer)
Power Systems Analysis and Design, 2007, J. Duncan Glover and Mulukutla S. Sarma
Electric Machinery Fundamentals, 2003, Stephen Chapman ( I used this one a lot on the exam)
NEC 2014
NFPA 70e 2012
Ugly's 2014
MVA Method - Short Circuit ABC, Moon Yuen - paper
Transformer maintenance documents from ABB and GE
Protective Relaying White Paper from ABB

Personal Notebooks for NCEES Practice Problems with solutions, Formula Sheets, Worked problems and examples

Good luck!

Graffeo book helped me a lot when I took the exam back in oct 2014. There are a lot of mistakes on the sample exam, but over all the book is worth each penny for passing the exam. I sold that to someone and now I am cussing myself for not keeping it and selling it for mere $40.

Hi PEoct,

ya i remember u , i know its so frustrating but thing for sure is that i am working hard but i need put my work it out using different direction,, i really need to bring change in my studying style....... ya u are right i wish i had group to work out with... well lets see time to get back again.

I forget, have you already tried taking a review course?

Hi PEoct,

no yet, but i am going with review courses this time :( i really need different approach, studying on my own not working i guess. beacuse i put more than 400 hrs but something is not going right...

^ I think it could help you look at your studies in a different way by seeing how a review course is organized. Good luck! :thumbs:

Graffeo book helped me a lot when I took the exam back in oct 2014. There are a lot of mistakes on the sample exam, but over all the book is worth each penny for passing the exam. I sold that to someone and now I am cussing myself for not keeping it and selling it for mere $40.

Graffeo has a list of errata on his website to correct any mistakes. But I believe any new purchases would have the errors fixed. Besides for my custom binder, that's one of the only books I kept and I'm not selling. I had a ton of notes and highlighting in it anyway though.

Hi PEoct,

no yet, but i am going with review courses this time :( i really need different approach, studying on my own not working i guess. beacuse i put more than 400 hrs but something is not going right...
A review course will help majorly, more so the material they give you. I figured that doing all these practice exams and problems was not working for me, so I took a course, and studied the material well enough to know where every topic is and have a good understanding of it. I would also advise you to go online and print out some articles about a bunch of different topics that are exam related, that would help too! I am sorry to hear you didn't make this time, but you will make it next time! Keep your head up you got this!

Back