NEXT STEPS AFTER PASSING PE EXAM

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yasemin

Reaction score
I just passed PE-Environmental in New York. When I was checking the NYSED website to learn more about the next steps, I found the following statement :" After receiving a passing result, it will take approximately 4 to 5 weeks for a status review of your licensure application file. If you meet all requirements for licensure, you will be granted a license as soon as possible".

Can you please share with me if you know about requirements for licensure?

Thanks,

Yasemin

Here's what the Louisiana board told me when I asked the same question:

"We are working to license those that passed the exam by June 1, which is our next board meeting.

If that is the case, youll be notified by email and mail of your PE number. In early August, youll be sent an invoice to renew your PE license.

In the event, licenses cannot be issued by June 1, the next meeting is July 28 and licenses will be issued at that meeting also."

Ohio says:

At this time, you must remit to the Board a $50.00 registration fee ... made payable in U.S. funds to Treasurer, State of Ohio. Mail your fee to the Board office. There is no additional paperwork needed.

After the Board receives your registration fee, you will be registered as an Ohio Professional Engineer. This process takes 2-3 business days and includes issuing you a registration number.

Depends on the state. Some you get the licence number quickly, others it is another long wait. In MA I had to wait approx 3 - 4 weeks before getting my licence number. In the meantime order your new business cards so you can start using them after you get your number.

I just passed PE-Environmental in New York. When I was checking the NYSED website to learn more about the next steps, I found the following statement :" After receiving a passing result, it will take approximately 4 to 5 weeks for a status review of your licensure application file. If you meet all requirements for licensure, you will be granted a license as soon as possible".

Can you please share with me if you know about requirements for licensure?

Thanks,

Yasemin

All states review your education, experience, references, etc. Some do this as part of the application process in determining whether or not you'll be approved to sit for the exam and some do this review after you pass the exam before you get your license. It sounds like NY might do the latter. Or some combination of both.

Yasemin, you don't have any further action in NY. They will review your application again and then issue your PE license number and mail your certificate home. If I recall correctly, my license number was issued online well before the certificate was mailed to my house.

You can check the following site to see if your license number has been issued: http://www.op.nysed.gov/opsearches.htm

Congrats on passing.

I would say ..slow down. Enjoy your glory for now..for at least another week before you think of next step. You as engineer don't get to have this kind of glory on a daily basic. It might be next couple years before you have this sort feeling again or could be never...i say enjoy! LOL

Most state will send you stuff for payment

Last edited by a moderator:
For Ohio, I had to send a check before they assigned my number. However, that is all I had to do and they were very quick in turning it around. Yeah Ohio!

In Missouri they just waited a few weeks and posted my number online. I eventually got a letter. But don't fret over that stuff...this is the easy part. Pay your tax (that hopefully is getting reimbursed) and enjoy it. Plan a vacation. There is no need to rush into getting everything crossed off, because there is simply nothing left for you to do. Though I will say it was a bit satisfying again when the new stamp showed up. Also, once everything gets filed, you might think about submitting an NCEES record if you think you will need one in the future. It's like reapplying all over again, but the longer you wait to do that, the harder it gets to get the right references, verifications, etc.

Also you might use this time to come up with your next goal. For me after looking forward and planning to do all the PE stuff for a while, I needed something else to set my sights on.

In Missouri they just waited a few weeks and posted my number online. I eventually got a letter. But don't fret over that stuff...this is the easy part. Pay your tax (that hopefully is getting reimbursed) and enjoy it. Plan a vacation. There is no need to rush into getting everything crossed off, because there is simply nothing left for you to do. Though I will say it was a bit satisfying again when the new stamp showed up. Also, once everything gets filed, you might think about submitting an NCEES record if you think you will need one in the future. It's like reapplying all over again, but the longer you wait to do that, the harder it gets to get the right references, verifications, etc.

Also you might use this time to come up with your next goal. For me after looking forward and planning to do all the PE stuff for a while, I needed something else to set my sights on.
Yup..you will suffered a withdraw...suddenly you have some much time what to do..

I thought this thread was going to be about hookers and blow.

Isn't that what you did after passing the exam?

I would say ..slow down. Enjoy your glory for now..for at least another week before you think of next step. You as engineer don't get to have this kind of glory on a daily basic. It might be next couple years before you have this sort feeling again or could be never...i say enjoy! LOL

I'm so there with you. The responses from my coworkers say it all. Feels like Dec 19, 2004. Walking across that stage for that ChemE degree. Nobody couldn't tell me sh!t that day! Lol

I thought this thread was going to be about hookers and blow.

Isn't that what you did after passing the exam?
Hookers and blow are weekly event..nothing special!

I'm so there with you. The responses from my coworkers say it all. Feels like Dec 19, 2004. Walking across that stage for that ChemE degree. Nobody couldn't tell me sh!t that day! Lol
ya..the next glory would when we are receiving a gold Timex watch..not even Omega/Rolex when we hit 50 years of services...a week later we die LOL

I'm printing out salary.com's engineer grade level 1-5 50% salaries and also printing this out https://www.asce.org/uploadedFiles/Membership_and_Communities/Regions_Sections_Branches/Content_Pieces/engineering-grades-brochure.pdf to justify why I should be at grade 4. Getting all my ammo ready to hopefully talk about a raise next week.
GS-11 is kind of low in salary...

I'm printing out salary.com's engineer grade level 1-5 50% salaries and also printing this out https://www.asce.org/uploadedFiles/Membership_and_Communities/Regions_Sections_Branches/Content_Pieces/engineering-grades-brochure.pdf to justify why I should be at grade 4. Getting all my ammo ready to hopefully talk about a raise next week.

In Portland, OR Mechanical Engineer IV the lowest 10% makes 90k, 50% 112k and 90% make 138k. I wouldn't say that's terribly low by any means.

In Portland, OR Mechanical Engineer IV the lowest 10% makes 90k, 50% 112k and 90% make 138k. I wouldn't say that's terribly low by any means.
for GS-11 step 10, even in the DMV area, it's around $82k..I don't know much since I am a consultant but I have friends that work for Fed.

that's a nice pay...in comparison to GS-11

And Actually Portland was my target destination when I move out of DC area

for GS-11 step 10, even in the DMV area, it's around $82k..I don't know much since I am a consultant but I have friends that work for Fed.

that's a nice pay...in comparison to GS-11

And Actually Portland was my target destination when I move out of DC area
But Grade IV is equivalent to GS-11 on that ASCE site, unless I'm missing something

Back