FIFA Scandal

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snickerd3

Taking suggestions
Reaction score
Why does the US care if the FIFA bidding process was mared with bribes? Seems like a waste of us tax payer money given FIFA is essentially a business not a government agency.

I was wondering that as well. The official excuse is that some of the money was laundered and wired through the US and by companies with US locations. I think it has something to do with Russia and Qatar getting awarded World Cups at the expense of US venues. John McCain has been openly vocal about wanting FIFA to revoke Russia's World Cup due to Putin's actions in Ukraine. The US may not like soccer very much, but the World Cup brings in billions if not trillions of tourist revenue.

I don't recognized that type of football.... In general I hate when the govt goes after sport scandals...steroids in MLB, bribing in Fifa, who cares...

perfectly-timed-photos-soccer-players.jpg

But like Wil said, I believe there are several US-based marketing firms involved in the ordeal.

I don't care about soccer. If they played the World Cup at my house, I wouldn't watch.

But the Qatar choice is comical:

• No existing stadiums
  • No soccer tradition
  • Too hot to play games in the summer
  • Alcohol sales are generally not allowed
  • Approximately 4,000 people will be killed during stadium construction
That's not to mention Qatar's terrible record regarding the rights of women and homosexuals.

But despite all that, FIFA officials went with Qatar over England and the U.S. for some rea$on.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a pretty interesting article which shows the human toll of the construction efforts for the Qatar world cup.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/05/27/a-body-count-in-qatar-illustrates-the-consequences-of-fifa-corruption/

I read somewhere that the justification for the US was getting involved in the corruption investigation is that American companies are one of the largest financial contributors to FIFA, mostly through advertising revenue. I certainly don't believe that is the primary reason for going after them.

I don't care about soccer. If they played the World Cup at my house, I wouldn't watch.

But the Qatar choice is comical:

• No existing stadiums
  • No soccer tradition
  • Too hot to play games in the summer
  • Alcohol sales are generally not allowed
  • Approximately 4,000 people will be killed during stadium construction
That's not to mention Qatar's terrible record regarding the rights of women and homosexuals.

But despite all that, FIFA officials went with Qatar over England and the U.S. for some rea$on.

A new yacht is a pretty compelling reason!

Am I the only one that sees the picture of the proposed stadium and is reminded of the Everybody Loves Raymond episode where Marie takes art lessons and builds a sculpture?

LMFAO

Back