Everything you wanted to know about the CA-Survey/Seismic Civil PE Exams - Page 12 - CA-Seismic/Survey Exams - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
ptatohed

Everything you wanted to know about the CA-Survey/Seismic Civil PE Exams

On 5/17/2019 at 12:49 PM, AM$1987 said:

Hi all,

I'm looking to take review courses for CA Seismic & CA Surveying. I took EET's course for the 8 hour exam and passed (transportation). Although the lecture/materials were good, the only thing I wish that the on-demand version had was the ability to speed up videos. They use Adobe Connect so this function wasn't available. I found it a pain to listen through the lectures at normal speed especially if reviewing/rewatching a specific part.

Can anyone provide some details about the on-demand versions of the several different review courses that you have personally tried? (Quality instruction, up to date materials, most importantly THE ABILITY TO SPEED UP THE VIDEOS).

I would appreciate it so much.

Best of luck to all with your careers!

-AM

I did the same for WRE, I feel your pain. I was thinking that you could run some screen recording software while the videos are playing and you're doing something else to make a clip that you could speed up on a seperate video player.

Source: Spring 2019 Board Bulletin 

image.thumb.png.dc9b99e5e5aaca565df0bc077fda419d.png

Edited by vip-eng
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/7/2019 at 1:16 PM, vip-eng said:

Source: Spring 2019 Board Bulletin 

image.thumb.png.dc9b99e5e5aaca565df0bc077fda419d.png

That's quite a drop in 2018 from increasing pass rates from 2014 to 2017, for both seismic and survey.

Hey everyone,

Which references are absolutely necessary for the Seismic Exam?

Can we use ASCE 7-10 or do we have to get the 2016 version? Also, do we need to bring the CBC or IBC or both (what version would suffice)? My employer may have some of these books but I'm not sure if the exam will pull stuff from the most current versions of the codes.

Any help/advise would be appreciated. Thank you.

From the Board website, the stats of Q1 2019. 

Capture.JPG

Edited by vip-eng

3 hours ago, AM$1987 said:

Hey everyone,

Which references are absolutely necessary for the Seismic Exam?

Can we use ASCE 7-10 or do we have to get the 2016 version? Also, do we need to bring the CBC or IBC or both (what version would suffice)? My employer may have some of these books but I'm not sure if the exam will pull stuff from the most current versions of the codes.

Any help/advise would be appreciated. Thank you.

Check here : https://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/cerefs.shtml

If you take EET there’s really no additional references that you will need per the instructor except In addition to the EET notebook that came with the course I took ASCE 7-10 as I’m used to using the code to lookup the R values, IBC 2015, and the masonry code. I knew I wouldn’t use the IBC or masonry codes during the exam but  I took them just in case a random question would’ve come out, which didn’t. Overall I only used the EET notebook and ASCE code.

Hey all,

In Q2 2018 I took and failed Seismic. I then passed survey but got so busy with work and a baby being born I'm just now starting to retest Seismic in Q4 2019. Unfortunately, I don't remember all of the specifics from when I sat for Seismic the first time around, however in looking at the area's I was deficient at, I think one of the problems I had is that on the test many of the Seismic Force-Resisting Systems were called something I was unfamiliar with or that did not obviously match a specific category in ASCE 7-10 12.2-1. I feel like I understood the various procedures and did well on all practice tests, but if I looked up something wrong in the charts, there was no way I would get the question right on the test.

I self studied Hiner's book and this time I will actually watch the webinars, so hopefully I have a better overall understanding (structural is not my area of expertise), but did anyone else come across this issue when they tested? Anyone have any suggestions on a resource that would better identify other ways to describe typical Force Resisting Systems?

Any advise would be appreciated!

*Edit on 10/27 - NEVERMIND. After watching the first lecture, the ASCE tables make a lot more sense. I'm now thinking that trying to self study, while not being a practicing structural engineer and being over a decade out of school, was a really bad idea. If you have a similar story to myself, I would very much recommend purchasing the lectures. I should have done it the first time around!

Edited by thebruce44
Disregard

On 10/15/2019 at 10:22 AM, thebruce44 said:

Hey all,

In Q2 2018 I took and failed Seismic. I then passed survey but got so busy with work and a baby being born I'm just now starting to retest Seismic in Q4 2019. Unfortunately, I don't remember all of the specifics from when I sat for Seismic the first time around, however in looking at the area's I was deficient at, I think one of the problems I had is that on the test many of the Seismic Force-Resisting Systems were called something I was unfamiliar with or that did not obviously match a specific category in ASCE 7-10 12.2-1. I feel like I understood the various procedures and did well on all practice tests, but if I looked up something wrong in the charts, there was no way I would get the question right on the test.

I self studied Hiner's book and this time I will actually watch the webinars, so hopefully I have a better overall understanding (structural is not my area of expertise), but did anyone else come across this issue when they tested? Anyone have any suggestions on a resource that would better identify other ways to describe typical Force Resisting Systems?

Any advise would be appreciated!

*Edit on 10/27 - NEVERMIND. After watching the first lecture, the ASCE tables make a lot more sense. I'm now thinking that trying to self study, while not being a practicing structural engineer and being over a decade out of school, was a really bad idea. If you have a similar story to myself, I would very much recommend purchasing the lectures. I should have done it the first time around!

Dr. Mansour's goes over this topic very well in his on demand course, I suggest you contact him or try out his book https://www.passpe.com/store/products/183831

Hi, I want to apply for comity for California PE license (Civil), I am a PE in Florida (Orlando).  I understand I have to take the CA surveying and CA seismic exams.  I have some questions. 

1.  I am filling out the application, do I check both the seismic exam and the surveying exam, even though I plan on taking them one at a time?  (I read elsewhere on this forum that you are given a time frame to take the exams.  I just don't want them to give me say April to June time frame to complete taking both exams)  

2.  For those who took the exams recently, any suggestion on online prep courses?  I was thinking School of PE. 

3.  For those who took the exams recently, any suggestion on study materials (books)?

4.  Any additional suggestion for the seismic?  I am terrible at structural, it's like rocket science to me.  

Thanks much!

The first post may very well be due for an update.  I've been away from it for so long, I'll need recent examinees to please help me keep it updated.  If you have suggested updates, please advise!  Thanks.  

• Thanks 2

On 11/12/2019 at 1:38 PM, MsCivilEngineer said:

Hi, I want to apply for comity for California PE license (Civil), I am a PE in Florida (Orlando).  I understand I have to take the CA surveying and CA seismic exams.  I have some questions. 

1.  I am filling out the application, do I check both the seismic exam and the surveying exam, even though I plan on taking them one at a time?  (I read elsewhere on this forum that you are given a time frame to take the exams.  I just don't want them to give me say April to June time frame to complete taking both exams)  

2.  For those who took the exams recently, any suggestion on online prep courses?  I was thinking School of PE. 

3.  For those who took the exams recently, any suggestion on study materials (books)?

4.  Any additional suggestion for the seismic?  I am terrible at structural, it's like rocket science to me.  

Thanks much!

Let me take a stab at your questions...

1. You should check both the boxes for the exams, as you are applying for licensure, which you need to pass both exams to gain. And what you have read on this site is probably some version of this: when your application is approved, you will be approved to take both the seismic and surveying exams in the following quarter. The quarters of the year are: Jan - March, April - June, July - September, and October - December. The quarter you get assigned to take the exams is wholly dependent on when your application is approved. If you are missing anything from your application, it could take more time. Check around this subforum to see anecdotal experience of members to see how long it took them to get approval of their license application.

2. People consistently recommend EET, Hiner's Seismic Review course, Mansour's courses, and Reza Mahallati's surveying course. When I took the exams a few years ago, I used Reza's workbook for surveying and Hiner for seismic. I have a structural background, so surveying was what I was less comfortable with, for sure.

3. See my answer to #2... Personally, I don't really recommend the PPI books for surveying. I didn't think they helped me very much. I was a big fan of Hiner's and Reza's practice problems though (even though Reza had a lot of typos in his workbook, when I was using it).

4. Can you get ahold of a copy of ASCE 7-16 and IBC/CBC 2015? You're probably going to want them. It maybe also help you to have at least the NDS specifications. I remember I went in with all of my material codes (wood, steel, concrete, masonry), but didn't really use any of them.

The main thing is to get as many practice problems done as you can. You need to be fast at completing problems to attack these exams properly. Also, utilize the multiple pass system strictly. Time is definitely against you when you're trying to do 55 questions in 2.5 hours.

• Like 1