CA Civil - Seismic and Surveying - APR 2015 - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
 photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif
Sign in to follow this  
KCaps PE

CA Civil - Seismic and Surveying

Does anyone know if the CA state-specific civil exam results are released at the same time as the 8-hr? I took all three and am anxious for the little green box on the NCEES page, but don't know where to turn for the CA-specific results.

CA results usually come before the 8 hour and they arrive via email. Email one will tell you what your password is (to access pw protected file) and to tell you to expect results within 24 hours. Email two will have the password protected file which will give you results for surveying AND seismic. The second email usually comes 2-3 hours after the first.

I'm waiting on seismic and 8-hour so I hope I find out I passed both on the BPELS email since that releases before the 8-hour.

Thanks! Good to know! I tried asking the "live chat" person on the NCEES website, but they gave me a non-answer.

Thanks! Good to know! I tried asking the "live chat" person on the NCEES website, but they gave me a non-answer.

Yeah, they wouldn't know anything about that as it's the California board (aka BPELS) that requires the seismic and surveying for licensure. All NCEES would tell anyone is to contact your local state board.

i took all 3 tests in April 2015 also, hopefully the results are coming soon since some states have released results already!!!

Last fall I tool all three and I received seismic and survey the day after I received my 8-hr results. Last spring my co-worker received all three the same day

You're wrong for that...

Really? Who'd you talk to at BPELS? Did you ask them when the results are coming out? Since you know they're not coming out today, surely, you must know when for sure?

BPELS said it was updated yesterday.

Excellent! Then the results must be coming out today!

What is pass score required for Seismic and Surveying? I am assuming if it is 70%. I felt these special exams were harder than PE exam.

i'm not sure about survey, but seismic is typically 60%

I think I did well in seismic but not surveying. So I think I'll retake it again. So what's a good notes can I get to pass this surveying. What materials are recommended to get or I can buy ? I love out of CA

Passed 8 hour this time and surveying last time, just need seismic.... come on seismic!!!

What review courses did you guys take for surveying.

I self-studied for a week and took a day off work to crank out tons of practice problems. I felt pretty confident during the exam, but we'll see once we get results.

Practice problems really boosted my confidence.

At the risk of jinxing myself, I went into the surveying exam already accepting the fact that I had failed but thought the exam was much easier than I expected and will be surprised if I didn't pass.

I am an earthquake engineer, but I found seismic problems difficult and insufficient amount of time. I had studies only two days for seismic using PPI book.

Surveying was mostly mathematical calculations and I found it easy.

I self-studied for a week and took a day off work to crank out tons of practice problems. I felt pretty confident during the exam, but we'll see once we get results.

I used boniface practice problems. I didn't think they were representative of the exam. Which practice problems did you use ?

I went to Reza Mahallati's review course in person for surveying.

I am so unproductive at work waiting for the seismic results...

I used boniface practice problems. I didn't think they were representative of the exam. Which practice problems did you use ?

I used the PPI package for surveying to self-study, which is Boniface for the practice problems and Cuomo for the textbook. While studying in a cafe, I actually had someone come up to me who had worked with Cuomo and they told me how great he was. http://ppi2pass.com/civil-surveying-pe-package-surp5.html

The definitions book was especially helpful on the exam.

Even if the practice problems weren't exactly similar to the exam, they got me in the right mindset. I also made my own compact equation sheets that I used for quick reference throughout the exam. The equation sheet and dictionary got me through most of it pretty quickly.