Engineer in Responsible Charge - Traffic Control Plans

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cement

gray haired dude
Reaction score
We are having discussions at the DOT in Colorado about whether the Method of Handling Traffic (MHT) is a safety critical element that should be stamped by a PE. My take on this is that there is as much risk in a lane closure on the interstate as there is on a girder erection, which we do require to have an engineer's stamp for that. The MHT is like a shop drawing, showing the contractor's understanding of the work and certifying it needs to be documented.

My question, do other states require a PE stamp on MHTs?

In New York we use the term MPT, or Maintenance and Protection of Traffic. Is this the same as what you guys are referring to?. If so, in NY a P.E approved/stamped MPT plan is required when any road work is to be performed.

In New York we use the term MPT, or Maintenance and Protection of Traffic. Is this the same as what you guys are referring to?. If so, in NY a P.E approved/stamped MPT plan is required when any road work is to be performed.

Back in Ga - we called them MOT(maintenance of traffic)

If the contractor uses the set of plans provided aren't the "traffic control" plans stamped when the cover sheet is stamped?

But I do agree that if the contractor changes them & they normally do because office engineers don't usually know how to actually build a road, then the contractor should have to submit stamped traffic control plans... (IMO)

We provide traffic control plans that list typical applications that are standard, but the contractor provides the Method of Handling Traffic that shows the TA, list of devices, etc. Right now we have the Traffic Control Supervisor prepare the MHT, and that's the guy that makes a buck an hour more than the flaggers. On a project that I don't have a PE as the project engineer, the liability passes on to me. I'm pushing for a higher level of professionalism, and if the contractor's PE is stamping the MHT, he is going to be sure that the work gets done to spec.

Back